3rd Battalion - Sofia Infantry Regiment - 1812

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

3rd Battalion - Sofia Infantry Regiment - 1812

Post by Greystreak » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:24 pm

On parade today the completed 3rd Battalion of the Sofia Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, VI Corps (circa 1812), in a mix of headgear styles. This was my first attempt at painting troops in ‘greatcoats’, which fortunately became somewhat quicker as it went along. Figures are Wargames Foundry, sculpted by Alan Perry; flags from GMB. Due to the plainer aspect of the greatcoated 'look', I attempted to brighten up the basing in contrast to my usual dull and ‘realistic’ approach. Comments and queries welcomed as always.

Last edited by Greystreak on Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: 3rd Battalion - Sofia Infantry Regiment - 1812

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Superb stuff, Bryce :D
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Fantastic Bryce really looking forward to seeing these at Derby in March

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:00 am

A wonderful battalion Bryce.

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:26 am

Stunning work
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:43 am

I really like the nice, clean style of your figures and especially your base work which sets them off really well. Do you have any cavalry yet or are they still to come?
Very nice indeed!
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:44 pm

j1mwallace wrote:Do you have any cavalry yet or are they still to come?
Two regiments of Dragoons completed so far, with photos posted on this Forum:

Irkutsk Dragoons - http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/fightin ... =13&t=2966
Courland Dragoons - http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/fightin ... =13&t=2670
Bryce
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:31 pm

Lovely stuff!

(I have a strange urge to go off and read War and Peace...)
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
custosarmorum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by custosarmorum » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Very nice, Greystreak! I have a question on the GMB flags, what process to you use on the flags? I have heard white glue, glue, sticks, etc. Also, do you varnish this gloss and then flat?

The reason I ask is I am trying to decide on flags for some new units. My British are are Flag Dude which I like, but I was thinking of a new company for my Prussians just for something different. I have narrowed it to GMB or Maverick. I have heard that GMB can fade and/or bleed and so was wondering about how you did yours which look great. I was also considering Maverck material and wondered it anyone had used these (I seem to recall some on LoA or WSS units). Are the attached like paper ones (i.e., are they printed one one side and then folded together) or are they printed on both sides with just enough plain fabric to wrap around the staff (which could be fiddly for my pudgy fingers.

Thanks,

Mike
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:53 am

custosarmorum wrote:I have a question on the GMB flags, what process to you use on the flags? I have heard white glue, glue, sticks, etc. Also, do you varnish this gloss and then flat?
Mike, the flags have images of both sides of the flag printed on one side of good quality paper. I cut them out with a sharp Xacto knife, and a metal ruler, using the 'registration marks' provided. I then apply a bit of Pritt (UK brand) glue stick, and wrap around the flag pole, lining up the edges before carefully pressing together. I then manipulate the flag using fingers and paintbrush handles to create the folds, and leave to dry. Once hardened and dry, I paint the edges of the flag with appropriate matching colours to remove any white bits showing, then varnish with a light coat of Windsor & Newton 'Galleria' Acrylic Matte Varnish (brush applied).

I've never suffered from 'fading', though I had a mate who did--but that was after leaving his ECW troops in bright sunlight for two weeks . . . and GMB replaced them all, free of charge, on the odd chance that the printing inks were a 'bad batch'! Can't speak to the Maverick brand products, as I've not used them.

Hope that helps!
Bryce
custosarmorum
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by custosarmorum » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:52 am

Bryce,

Thanks for the very informative reply on GMB. It is very helpful. I had heard that a glue stick is the way to go and it s great to see how beautifully they turned out on your figures. And the folds look great! It is nice to know that the fading concern it not really a problem.

I am still considering the cloth flags from Maverick since they look very nice (e.g., http://leagueofaugsburg.com/fightingtal ... =13&t=3309) but am wondering about the way they are attached (they do not look to be folded like a paper flag would be). I'll probably order on or two just to have a look.

Thanks again... and Happy Boxing Day (it is still the 26th in the US as I type...),

Mike