The raising of the Saxon Army 1699-1712

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1699-1712

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:12 am

Ok,
I got a heads up frome my 'scottish' Painter with some very nice :D pictures of a greater part of my future Guard du Corps!

I did receive 10 Battalions from my 'english' Painter but that is far from all as still 12 Battalions and 5 Horse Regiments are somewhere between here and England :roll: Probably some postman/bloke riding a donkey... :evil:

Until these troops arrive I concentrate my efforts on basing those 10 Battalions while the remaining Artillery - 8 bases - gets their finishing touches.

I have to stay calm and hope.... :?

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:33 pm

WIP:

To show that I am not completely idle and I do have something to do for our meeting in October I have here two pictures for you:

As You can see a lot of work ahead and more still to come.
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:52 am

Man, I can just hear the clanking of the gear and the drums beating...what an impressive army you'll have Gunter.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:59 am

Redmist1122 wrote:Man, I can just hear the clanking of the gear and the drums beating...what an impressive army you'll have Gunter.
:D Thank's Greg!
On my desk are only 19 Battalions out of my Infantry Force of 32 Battalions.
10 are ready and those 19 are in different stages of basing. The remaining 3 are still out there....somewhere :roll: .
I hope to do some leaps forward until my Birthday :wink:

Cheers,
Günter

PS.: another Box arrived today, most likely some Cavalry and the remaining Infantry... :D

Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Very impressive Gunter, look forward to seeing them in October...

Unfortunately I won't have any Russians with me as need to concentrate on getting some more Jacobite cavalry ready.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Finaly the lost Infantry has arrived too and has already been glue'd on their bases :D

The lower left 5 Battalions are the Saxon and the Polish Guard together with 17 other Battalions, the King of Poland and 14 of his Commanders:

Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:03 pm

Glad to hear the "Lost Battalions" have been found! :shock: :D
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:52 am

Russian James wrote:Very impressive Gunter, look forward to seeing them in October...

Unfortunately I won't have any Russians with me as need to concentrate on getting some more Jacobite cavalry ready.
Dont worry, Jim, maybe you can paint those Jacobites like Russian Cossacks?! :D :wink:

Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:07 am

With my painting skills they may well look like Cossacks!!!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Dear Friends,

For all who can't come to Derby to see them there in flesh I like to present:

The Complete Saxon Infantry, 32 Battalions with 3 Artillery Companies in front of them. Their commanders are positioned on the Left Wing, the Center, the Right Wing, First and Second Line. The King stands in the Center, flanked by Field Marshal Steinau and the Duke of Courland.

Right Wing with the 3 Battalions of the Saxon Guard on the left, Second Line

Left Wing with the 2 Battalions of the Polish Guard on the right, Second Line

Overview from the left side

Overview from the right side

Enjoy
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:34 pm

...and I'm struggling to get ONE battalion of infantry finished!!! :cry:

I look forward to seeing them next month.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:10 pm

breath taking gunter. hope that your saxon project inspires more people to take an interest in the great northern war.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:58 am

Russian James wrote:...and I'm struggling to get ONE battalion of infantry finished!!! :cry:

I look forward to seeing them next month.
Dont be sad Jim, You paint them yourself! I on the other hand wouldnt be able to paint them myself :roll:

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:00 am

turrabear wrote:breath taking gunter. hope that your saxon project inspires more people to take an interest in the great northern war.
Thank You Mark!
That is my hope too.

Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:05 am

Gunter,
Oh my, what an impressive army you have there. I would have loved to see these guys in the flesh, thank you for the pics. Do have an up close pic of the King and Marshall?
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA