The raising of the Saxon Army 1699-1712

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Re: The raising of the Saxon Army 1699-1712

Post by Russian James » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:38 pm

I would love to have THAT quantity of troops to 'go biblical' with on the Williamite forces...! :lol:
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:49 pm

ColinN wrote:
barr7430 wrote:There are MANY tables Colin... ooh, that sounded a bit Biblical! :shock:
What I'm worried about is those Saxons going a bit 'Biblical' on my Huguenots! :cry:
Hey Colin,
Dont worry! The Saxon Elector is the Catholic King of Poland and commands a Protestant Army so where is the Problem? :D :wink:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Gunter,
Wow! Can I just say WOW again...Man those cavalry pics are just WOW! Anyways, a very impressive force. I've been knee deep in my 13th Warrior project; sculpting all those bear skins and heads and all the other decorations that go with it - antler weapons. I've been out of work for a several days now due to the government shutdown, and getting ready for a massive re-basing project for my BLB armies...moving from 4 figures to 6 on infantry bases and from 2 to 3 on the cavalry bases. I'm kinda in a dilemma, start w/Grand Alliance or my GNW guys...
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Nothing quite like seeing them in the flesh. What a super impressive collection and boy did they fight on their debut.. 4 battles on 2 days, 7 commanders... loads of glory including the capture of the colours of the 2nd battalion of the Swedish Lifeguard by 1st Battalion Regiment Pistoris. They destroyed the Drabant Guard in another battle. Captured a Swedish General of Cavalry in another. Two victories.... King August fought in over 7 rounds of combat and survived.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Sorry for the long silence here!
The story does not end for now but did not have anything to show since Derby so I kept silence.

My Painter Bob sent me last week some pictures of the finished dismounted Dragoon Regiment Goltz:

He currently works on a corrected Version of the Leib-Cuirassier Regiment.

More as soon as news are arriving.
Thanks for watching.

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:20 pm

Gunter,
I tell you hands down those Warfare minis for the dragoons are very nice! I have a set, and to get painting myself. Your unit looks awesome!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:29 am

Latest addition to the Saxon Army are the Dismounted Dragoons of the Dragoon Regiment Milkau. This Regiment will be know in the Napoleonic Wars throughout Europe as the famous Zastrow Cuirassiers!

All Figures are Warfare Miniatures, some are converted(?), painted and based by Bob Talbot.

Cheers,
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:49 am

Here are some pictures of the - already - famous Saxon Garde du Corps that have won it's laurels at the last Weekender at Derby in Octobre 2013.

This Regiment started to be known as Garde du Corps at 1701, the foundation was arround 1618 as Leibgarde zu Ross aka Hoffahne, to fight its way through history until its end in 1812. The spirit of this Regiment served within the Garde-Reiter Regiment of the later Royal Saxon Army until 1919 when the Army was dissolved.

The Regiment had in the GNW a strenght 1000 men in 12 Companies which were formed into 4 so-called Squadrons.
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:17 pm

Gunter,
Awesome looking dragoons. I like the style of the horse holder and the dead horse. That's one thing we don't have enough of is dead horses...hint hint (Barry). I really hate cutting or modifying good stable horse to get the message across of the shot out horse. I think a few dead horses would make a good addition to the Warfare Minis dead dudes...just a thought.

Thanks for sharing!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:12 am

Last Minute report:

The remaining 2 Dragoon Regiments on Foot, Kurprinz and Leib, will be ready for the Show in Dumfries as will be the Leib Cuirassier Regiment newly raised and painted by the able hands of Bob Talbot.

Pictures are to follow in the AAR or by photo shooting of our always present football reporter :lol: :wink:

Cheers,

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:23 pm

Dear Friends,

The only future addition to this Army will be my own version of those Big Daddies but in a more overlapping way as those guns can be used for Siege warfare in the GNW, the SYW and the Napoleonic Wars.

They will be different in ways of look of the carriage, the Size of the Barrel and the hight of the wheels. You can say a complete overhaul.

Work has begun a few months ago so I hope to see first results soon.

Cheers,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Dear Friends,

As I was questioned at Dumfries if those 32 Battalions in 17 Regiments will be all of my Saxon Infantry I had truly to answer with a NO as there are more to follow over the next time. There are still 12 Battalions in 6 Regiments not touched but now accounted for. These Regiments are:

FÜRSTENBERG 2
ZEITZ 2
WEIMAR 2
TROMP 2
HEYNE 2
WOSTROMIRSKY 2

Most of those Regiments have been lent to various Countries. Some fought for the Danish and some for the Empire on the Rhine or against the Turks.

The above together with the Siege Train of 24 Pieces 24pdr will conclude the Saxon Army of the GNW.

Cheers,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:45 am

Dear Friends,

Since my last post I gave order to Warfare Miniatures to deliver those previously mentioned 12 Battalions to my Painter Neil Wilson where they had arrived two weeks ago. The order to start them painting will go out next weekend so this 250+ Figures will be finished within July'14 and will be part of my Army in Derby this Year.
Once again this Battalions have not been part of the Saxon Army in Poland because they were on the payroll of Austria and the Dutch to fight in Hungary against the Turks or in Flanders and along the Rhine against the French.

Those Figures will end the growth of the Saxon Army 1699 - 1712 as only the mounted Dragoons for the already existing dismounted Regiments have to follow somewhere in the future.

Final account:
48 Battalions, 72 Squadrons (36 by BlB) and 45 Guns (15 by BlB)

Thanks for following, any comment is welcome.

Cheers,
Günter

Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:29 pm

Gunter,

With respect to you great Saxon generals. I notice that some have blue and some grey coats. Is there any particular reason for these color coats on specific figures? Or did you take the position that sneior officers could wear what they liked?

Dannie
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:03 pm

Dfogleman2 wrote:Gunter,

With respect to you great Saxon generals. I notice that some have blue and some grey coats. Is there any particular reason for these color coats on specific figures? Or did you take the position that sneior officers could wear what they liked?

Dannie
Hi Dannie,

It was because of wish of the Senior Officers to wear what they liked as you predicted :wink:

The time when General Officers had to wear the Livre of the King was not before 1730 I believe.

Thanks for stopping by,
Günter