French 1672 - First Figures

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: French 1672 - First Figures

Post by Glorfindel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi chaps,

The Regiment de Crussol (or at least one of its Battalions) is finally complete and ready for your inspection.

The command base :

Some musketeers :

For a touch of variety, I decided to go for the shooting pose this time rather than the march-attack with the Regiment de Lyonnais. Hope you like them.

Cheers,

Phil
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 am

That's a very nice paint job on those Phil, keep up the good work.
Cheers
Dave
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Oh, those are dreadful. Send them to me immediately, and I will ensure they never see the light of day :D :D :D :D </*tongue firmly in cheek>

Are you buying the battalion packs, or creating your own from individual packs? Also, how are you doing the flags - are they self made, or purchased?
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:52 am

Phil,
it seems you have moved pics of Crussol as they are no longer visible in an earlier post of yours.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:29 am

Thank you very much for the kind words - always very much appreciated.

Rob - I must admit that I'm buying individual packs from North Star as and when the cash bcomes available. This is one of the reasons it takes so long. When I bought the first battalion, the figures were discounted. Unfortunately, the sale season is now over and full prices apply again. I still think they are worth every penny.

The flags have been bought from Barry's League of Augsburg web-store. I like these very much (which is just as well as I don't want two different flag styles). To make them look how I want takes a few steps :

a. fold them carefully in half;
b. superglue the flag to the pole;
c. PVA glue the rest of the flag;
d. touch up any white showing round the edges;
e. bend to shape (the type of paper used together with the PVA allows you to give them 'natural' looking folds).

Gunter - thanks for the heads up - I have restored the pics (I had moved the originals in my Photobucket account). I've linked to this in case you are interested in having a look through other pics :

http://s761.photobucket.com/user/glorfi ... 7866580216

Cheers,

Phil
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:48 am

There's some nice stuff there Phil.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:14 pm

Very nice indeed! well worth the time and effort. Really love the frenchman with the helmet! Keep up the good work :D
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:33 am

Hi chaps,

Just a quick post to let you see a couple of Officers I've finished (for the Plessis-Praslin Regiment). I've tried to be clever and add a silver border to the shoulder belt - this was a right pain again but has turned out OK.

I like this guy but could you take him seriously on the battlefield ? Shades of "I'm a little teapot.."

Hmmm. This chap is a bit more 'warlike' but what a hooter - very much a Cyrano de Bergerac thing going on.

A little more seriously, I'm trying to perfect my own vision of the off-white French coat colour. This attempt uses two GW colours (Fortress Grey undercoat with Astronomicon Grey base) and seems to have turned out quite well (it really glows when viewed indoors). I could certainly find a colour I am happy with by mixing others but, unless you make a gargantuan batch, its hard to repeat. This is why I am trying to find a commercially availalable paint.

I suppose that it is always worth bearing in mind that this is only ever going to be a personal opinion as there is so little evidence of coat colours for this period. As such, I could paint them any colour really. At the end of the day, though, I feel that its best to stick to an 'accepted' look (grey with different linings for the French) as this will help to give the army a unified feel. Having said that, I'm certainly looking forward to the Irish Brigade and some of the more interesting Etranger regiments.

Cheers,

Phil
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:08 pm

The 1672 French Regiment "Plessis-Praslin" finally finished after the recruiting sergeants conducted a desparate search of the Paris slums to fill the ranks (ie. checking behind the sofa to scrimp together enough cash) :

Next will be a cannon & crew and a suitably foppish General to lead them.

Cheers,

Phil
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Hi chaps,

You might be interested in the latest additions to my early French Army.

The Marquis de Sans-Cheveux:

Not so sure the eyes have come out very well - too much of a mad staring thing going on !! Ho hum.

Fusiliers du Roi :

The artillery piece has also been completed (red woodwork with black ironwork and brass gun) but seems a little dark. This will be highlighted up and then based before being presened for your entertainment.

Phil
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Excellent stuff!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
jambo1
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by jambo1 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Lovely paint work, they look really good.
jezamonos
Captain
Captain

Post by jezamonos » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:44 pm

They are really nice. Lovely shading
Owner - Default Models
http://defaultmodels.blogspot.com/