Another 1806 Prussian unit completed, plus WSS Bavarians

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Another 1806 Prussian unit completed, plus WSS Bavarians

Post by 18th Century Guy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Here's what has been keeping me busy when I'm not looking for a job.

More photos can be found on my blog ...

http://18th-century-studios.blogspot.com/

thanks for stopping by.
Greg
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Another 1806 Prussian unit completed, plus WSS Bavarians

Post by Glorfindel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:26 pm

These are absolutely superb. I particularly like the faces of the Bavarians. Did they really wear such a bright blue ?

There are so many Prussians ! How do you maintain focus to complete this unit ? I find it hard enough painting 18 man Battalions.

Fantastic stuff.

Phil
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:33 pm

Lovely stuff, Greg :D

Phil, I think it is the goal he want's to reach to complete those many Prussians.
That would be my way how to get my armies together.

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:40 pm

Phil and Gunter,

Thanks for the comments. As to the color of the Bavarians, well this is my interpretation of their sky blue/cornflower blue uniform. :) I'm sure some will disagree with it but that is the fun in painting up figures - you get to decide!

Yes, there are a lot of figures to paint for the Prussians and I didn't display the 4 schuetzen that go with it! Most of my Prussian battalions will be at 36 figures with the 4 schuetzen figures as their skirmishers. However the Guard battalions will be around 40+ figures plus their accompanying schuetzen. And then there is the cavalry as the heavies have 5 squadrons (except for DR. 5) with 8 figures per squadron! Those are big units but if you really want to be overwhelmed look at the French infantry during the 1806 battles, many of the battalions (according to the Nafziger OBs) will have 48 figures in them. :shock:
Greg
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:40 am

18th Century Guy wrote:...Yes, there are a lot of figures to paint for the Prussians and I didn't display the 4 schuetzen that go with it! Most of my Prussian battalions will be at 36 figures with the 4 schuetzen figures as their skirmishers. However the Guard battalions will be around 40+ figures plus their accompanying schuetzen. And then there is the cavalry as the heavies have 5 squadrons (except for DR. 5) with 8 figures per squadron! Those are big units but if you really want to be overwhelmed look at the French infantry during the 1806 battles, many of the battalions (according to the Nafziger OBs) will have 48 figures in them. :shock:
Greg,

in case you dont want to have odd numbers of bases for your guards how about the trick I do for my "40's" by having 40 figures only on paper while fielding 36(6x6) figures?
Only a suggestion of course :)

Cheers,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:10 pm

in case you dont want to have odd numbers of bases for your guards how about the trick I do for my "40's" by having 40 figures only on paper while fielding 36(6x6) figures?
Only a suggestion of course
Gunter,

Thanks for the idea and I've seen that mentioned on this site with other games. Here's my take on it, if the difference between the number of figures on the table and those on paper is not too big then I could use that (the 1 base difference you mentioned would probably work fine). However, if a 24 figure unit on the table is, on paper, set up to be 40 figures then I have a problem with that. This is because the player gets the advantage of a larger unit in combat but does not suffer any of the penalties of trying to manuver a large unit on the table.

I'll probably paint up the 40+ figures for the Prussian Guard and those pesky French just because I'm crazy! :D
Greg