Test figure

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: Test figure

Post by flick40 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:12 am

....and the pointy cushions
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:00 am

I forgot the pointy cushions :lol:

:evil: Ginger
Geudens
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Geudens » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:09 am

A job very well done!
Grenadier
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grenadier » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback gents, I appreciate the kind words. This thread has taken a decidedly weird turn so let me put it back on the tracks. I've spent most of my time painting 6,10 and 15mm figs for the past 30 years so I was a bit apprehensive at moving to 28mm.
I, too, have pet peeves in painting. Bulging eyes and overly done highlighting which tends to make a figure somewhat zebra striped, and lastly, overdone blacklining. I start with a white or grey primer followed by a dark wash to let me "see" the figure better as well as preshading it. I then block in the base colors and use thin layers of progressively lighter shades to bring it all together. This gets me the subtle variation I'm after. I then do another dark wash applied very precisely to deep recesses and edges of equipment. I use a dark rust wash on face and hands and then highlight. The final bits are touched up and then a bit of drybrushing to pick out the tiny bits.
As to the musket, I agree that any grain in this scale would be nearly invisible so I only hint at it with a couple shades and a rust wash. I included a detail I have not see done by most painters and that is a butt plate. The colors for the metal work on the musket stymied me at first and I had the lock painted brass. I then realized that it must be a harder metal to function properly so changed it to a steel color. I figured brass would only be used for pieces such as trigger guard, buttplate and other 'unabused' parts. The total time on this mini was about 3 hours, is that average? I can only imagine what a battalion will take.
Thanks again, I'll apply this technique to the rest of the battalion and post again.
To Barry, my location is in my profile. I reside in the great state of Iowa, USA.
To the rest of you, I appreciate the Monty Python bits, but for a really good Inquisition skit, Mel Brooks's "History of the World, Pt 3" can't be beat.

Brian
Grenadier
"In what space, sir? In what space?"
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:14 pm

I like pre shading but tend to forget to do it myself & work up from white with thick washes of the mid tone which tends to give similar results.

I agree about overdoing black lining I prefer to pick out edges of straps in very dark brown ink using a nylon brush as they are stiffer & not to do all of it as the trick is to get the viewers eye to do it for you. I also like a final very light dry brush with pale cream to pick out those very fine details. It also gives the figure a slightly faded look which I happen to like.

Subtly is a good watch word even if sometimes it doesn't photograph as well as it looks in the flesh.

Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:36 am

"The total time on this mini was about 3 hours, is that average? I can only imagine what a battalion will take."

This, I think, highlights an important decision point. Is your aim to produce a few (excellent) examples of the painter's art or are you looking to paint battalions to game with. I spent the last few years painting up 6mm Great Northern War / ACW figures before being lured into starting a 28mm C17th French army by Barry's articles in WI together with the galleries on this site. The differences are quite shocking at first.

My battalions are organised in 3 stands of 6 figures. I paint three 28mm figures at a time and usually manage to finish these in 3-4 hours over a weekend (break painting sessions up to maintain sanity). I am now used to the rate of painting these figures and don't expect two battalions in a weekend (usual 6mm rate). Some samples :

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4830

I decided early on that my aim was to paint them as well as I could (within reason) on the basis that this would provide incentive to continue (my regular opponent is also starting an LoA army and is moving at a similar slow pace - no race to the finish line). This usually involves a base coat and two levels of highlight with no colour mixing involved. This was reserved for mounted officers (which I am still working on).

Best of luck !

Phil
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:20 am

Top quality Brian,

As Phil says you have to decide on priorities, whether you want 2 or 3 battalions in a display cabinet at the end of the year or 10 or 12 to game with.

Whichever you choose this 1st figure is a great start.

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:03 pm

and dont forget you will speed up with practice & as you say if your not out painted by your opponent there is no need to rush.

I personally quite like the speed paint then polish them up technique in that you speed paint your battalion officers included. Then when you have done that go back and do the additional detail as required even easier if you know how the figures will be arrayed on their bases at that point so you can concentrate of the details which show.