A little help with French Uniform Color

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Artimas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

A little help with French Uniform Color

Post by Artimas » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Well, first batch of Warfare Miniatures are being primed as we speak (B5) and I'm about to put brush to figure for the first time in almost 15 years.
I thought I'd paint up a unit of French musketeers for starters but would like to get some specific information on the shade of "gray" for their uniforms.
Can anyone give me an idea of what shade of gray to start with? Name and brand of paint would be helpful. I can handle the shading and highlighting from there on.

Thanks.

Artimas
Jefferson City, Missouri USA
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: A little help with French Uniform Color

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:03 am

The exact colour is a bit vague to be honest but appears to have been a light silver grey perhaps with a slight blue hint. I would however not worry at all about the exact shade since it would have drifted from that within days of being on campaign.

I tend to mix the colour when I need it and to do so by eye till it looks right not very technical but it works

:evil: Ginger
Artimas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Artimas » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Many thanks EG! I'll just study the color photos and go from there.

Artimas
Bitbag
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bitbag » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:40 pm

Hey Artimas

Welcome along to the ride!!!

Other people have suggested a pale 'silvery' grey, which is also what I have gone for - I use Wargames Foundry paints, and paint from a black undercoat:
Granite 31 C Shade coat
Arctic Grey 33 A Main coat
Arctic Grey 33 B Highlight

I use a three-tone system, made 'popular' by Kevin Dallimore (though I know others were using it before! :) Obviously there's other paint manufacturers out there if you don't use these particular paints. It's quite a subtle triad, but there's enough of a difference in shades I think. Have a look at my blog
http://haveacare.blogspot.co.uk/
to get an idea of what it looks like (Aug to Nov posts 2013)

Hope this helps!!

Andy
Artimas
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Artimas » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:04 pm

Andy:

Yes, that helps a lot.

Many thanks.

Artimas