How to paint Williamite Danish Foot Guards

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Craftfeld
Private
Private

How to paint Williamite Danish Foot Guards

Post by Craftfeld » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks to Barry from the League of Augsburg for these outstanding miniatures. I normally like following hints on painting uniforms for a couple of different eras but this time I guess it is up to me to do a tutorial as I could not find anything around that. As a reference for painting the upcoming miniatures I refer to the ones you find being painted by "The league of Augsburg"....:

(Picture courtesy of : http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/shop/product-464.html)

After rumbling through my colours and the try to find the perfect mixtures of colours... we will start here:

The first step for me is of course to work out the miniatures correctly and to clean them up. I guess I do not need to cover the part of preparations you should be supposed to do then painting a miniature.

Priming is a matter of taste. I prefer a more bright primer instead of a black one. The reason for me is that I still can see the details better on a more grey or white primed miniatures than on a black one. It doesnt matter if you are priming it black or grey.. the only difference in the outcome will be that the miniature might look a bit darker or brighter.. depending on the primer colour.

After this I started with the first layer. As you can see on the picture we need reds and slightly yellowish colours as well as whites....

As I try always using a three colour method to build up a miniatures I start with the darker part and this is Vallejo Khaki Grey. If you are not sure about there to apply it I suggest printing out the above picture by the "League of Augsburg". At present I do not care much about to apply it that kinda careful as this is simply the first colour of it and the rest will come over.

Step two

The second main colour is red here. I also start with the darkest possible colour I currently own. By the way here you also tidy up some of your previous work if you did not work that kinda carefully.

The next step is the first highlight setting. In this part I use the brighter Khaki on the already dried Khaki Grey. Here I leave out just smaller parts of the uniform which to my eye are a bit more in the shadows of the miniatures.

Then it is time for me to head for bed... lets see more tomorrow then the colours are dry.

If you have any additional suggestions and hints I would be very thankfull !
Craftfeld
Private
Private

Re: How to paint Williamite Danish Foot Guards

Post by Craftfeld » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:28 pm

I am really looking forward to my order of Pikes, Flags and the rulebook "Beneath the Lilly Banners" which I ordered through North Star Military over the weekend. Normally I would have called upon Barry from The League of Augsburg, but he stated he cant provide pikes... as to get Pikes it doesnt make sense for me and the postage to pay just to have the pikes delivered.

Also finished the Danish Foot Infantry which I started last week. What you see is 18 Infantry on foot. Missing is still the flags (including the Flagpoles) which are already ordered.

As I started this "How to paint" thing we should finish that one as well:

For the Uniform:

Vallejo Colours:
Khaki Grey (Basecoat)
Khaki (First highlight)
Buff (Second highlight)

Knots:
Buff/Ivory (50/50 Set as dots)

The parts below the uniforms and all other Red parts:

Games Workshop - Mecrite Red (Basecoat)
Vallejo - Vermillion (First highlight)
Vallejo - Vermillion/Ivory (50:50 Second Highlight)

Straps/Muskets:

Vallejo Colours
Flat Brown (Basecoat)
Beige Brown (First highlight)
Beige Brown/Ivory (50/50 Second Highlight)

Muskets/Bayonett/Knifes:

Vallejo Blackgrey (Basecoat)
Vallejo Gunmetal Grey (First highlight)
Vallejo Black Wash

Hats:

Vallejo Black (Basecoat)
Vallejo Black Grey (Highlight)
Vallejo Ivory (Hat around)

Faces:

Vallejo Colours
Beige Brown (Basecoat)
Brown Wash (Wash)