Diggers

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Diggers

Post by andy thompson » Fri May 02, 2014 3:11 pm

This is my first attempt at a modern camouflage. It's supposed to be "multi-cam" on some modern Australian infantry. As you can see, I'm struggling a bit with the consistency of the pattern, but individually I'm reasonably pleased with them.

Figures are from Empress' extensive modern range, and they are superb IMO.

I'm not exactly sure what the skip on the front of a couple of the helmets is supposed to represent though as I can't find any images of them. Anyone know? is it a helmet liner with a skip?

Andy
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Diggers

Post by PaulMc » Fri May 02, 2014 6:24 pm

Hi Andy,

Nice work, I painted some modern British for a commission a while back and found the multicam tricky too. I've been trying to find tutorials on it, but nothing so far. I think the peak is that of a cap worn under the ECH as I couldn't see it as part of their kit.

Don't know if this is any use to you:-

http://www.army.gov.au/Our-work/Equipme ... t-Ensemble
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Diggers

Post by andy thompson » Sun May 04, 2014 9:53 pm

I finally managed to find a post on their Kickstarter page referencing the fact that it's quite common for soldiers to wear a "ball cap" under their helmet these days, along with a picture of just such a thing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/53 ... sts?page=7

Post 9, the guy on the left of the pair.

I'm not sure I'd have designed 50% of my range around that one image mind you.

Andy