Building an Army for the TYW around 1635-1645

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Building an Army for the TYW around 1635-1645

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:20 pm

Dear Friends!

As one of the results of the Poll viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6584 I herewith announce that sculpting for a TYW Army will start with December 2015. The main focus will be for a typical Wargames Army in the time between 1635-1645. The reason for this later period lays in the fact that around this time all factions had formed their units after the Netherlandish Ordinance with 1/3 Pike and 2/3 Musketeers.
Also this time offers that there will be no significant difference in terms of Amor or Uniform between Warfaring Parties.

Here is a copy of my mail what I have envisioned to Steve for this Period of time:

First:
I will divert about GBP 3000 (€ 4000) towards you to give the TYW a good head start.
Second:
The Numbers of different Miniatures for each Troop Type should be 4-5 but without Heads and with at least one moveable arm(sword arm). Arm Sets?
Third:
Starting as always with Infantry, two types, Musketeers and Pikemen, 2 Command Sets of 6 Six Figures each (we need a lot of flags).
Fourth:
Horsemen, on two or three different horses, Heavy and light as already available(Napoleonic range), two or three types, Cuirassiers, Harquebusiers and Dragoons.
In addition to the Dragoons there will be dismounted Dragoons too. Command Sets for Horse are the usual Suspects :wink: !
Fifth:
The Artillery will consist of large and cumbersome (somewhat fancy) Guns. Regimental 3 to 6 pdr, 12 and 24 pdr as Position Batteries. About 4 to 8 Gun models for a 500 to 800 Figure Army. But could be up to 20 or 30 Models, depends on the Nationality of the Army, i.e., Sweden.
No Limbers at all, as only Armies on the move have them but not on the Battlefield. There they have been almost stationary.

The above will give a lot of Variation by having loose Heads and Arms(1 or 2) and by painting them in different colours (not really necessary) will produce many countries.

So stay tuned, share your thoughts with me, point out certain facts or interests and we will see how we can include that into this huge task.

Best Wishes,

Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Building an Army for the TYW around 1635-1645

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:23 pm

Interesting!

Will the horse holders be mounted or dismounted for the dragoons? What about other dismounted cavalry?

Sounds like an interesting project! Keep us posted!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:45 pm

Rob Herrick wrote:Interesting!

Will the horse holders be mounted or dismounted for the dragoons? What about other dismounted cavalry?

Rob,

That is a detail I did not work out so far :D

Thanks for your interest!

Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:36 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:
Rob Herrick wrote:Interesting!

Rob,

That is a detail I did not work out so far :D

Thanks for your interest!

Günter
It's something I have noticed across periods - all the horse holder figures are dismounted, but most doctrines had said one in four or six mounted. The only exception seems to be Perry's American Civil War horse holders.

I'm slowly working on my English Civil War armies, and through ebay purchases, can field Swede and Imperialist musketeer companies if I ever get round to painting them, so I'm always interested in this period!
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:34 pm

I seems that Steve wants to start with sculpting Head Sets to get a feeling for this Time Period. The heads will suit all types of troops, Horse and Foot.

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:32 am

Rob Herrick wrote:...
It's something I have noticed across periods - all the horse holder figures are dismounted, but most doctrines had said one in four or six mounted. The only exception seems to be Perry's American Civil War horse holders....
As far as I have insight into the doctrines of the TYW the Dragoons have started the War as "Mounted Infantry" carrying Muskets, PIKES and Saber as well as Pistols. The main visiual difference between Infantry and Dragoons have been their high Leather Boots.
To their Horseholders I found only very little. Only a small drawing that shows a dismounted Horse Holder that holds the briddles of 5 Horses including his own. But this must not be the only way how they acted in the Field.

Cheers,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:27 am

Ok.
Some info to the Infantry.
The administrative Formation was the Regiment, comprising a number of Companies. Depending on the numerical Strength of the Regiment it would be split into one or more Battallions on the Battlefield. It was also not too rare that Companies of different Regiments formed a Battalion.

The Company structure called for roughly 2/3rds Musketeers and roughly 1/3rd Pikes. This could not always be accomplished. The picture shows a common Infantry Company of 120 Musketeers and 80 Pikemen.

Between 6 and 12 Companies formed a Regiment.

I have not figured out after which Rules I intend to build this Army but for now I stay with a 1:20 Ratio. That will lead to a Company Strength of 10 Figures with 60 - 120 Figures within a Regiment.

The depth of such a unit was 8 to 12 men. The Electorate of Saxony formed them in 10 ranks. This depth was thought to give the Musketeers the 2,5mins time to Fire their muskets, turn around, walk back and arriving in the last rank, starting to reload their muskets on their way forward until firing again. This was their way in a "standing" battle.
In an advance the Pikemen moved forward in a slow pace while the Musketeers advanced rankwise shooting and thereafter withdrawing through gaps in the formation to make space for the next rank to fire. A rolling fire was given while advancing toward the enemy. The range of a musket of this time was about 150 meters to be effective. Lighter Harquebuses had a effective range of 120meters.

Better trained Armies like the Swedes of the early times of the TYW reduced their depth to 6 ranks. Sometimes they fired not only one by one rank but 3 ranks at once! Eventually before charging?

More reading is in the process :D

Cheers,
Günter