White Russia and Ahtyrka Hussars

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

White Russia and Ahtyrka Hussars

Post by Gunfreak » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:46 am

The White Russia are newly painted, the Ahtyrka was painted late spring last year but has been rebased to fit my new basing style. total 24 hussars, plan is to do 20 squadrons of White russia, Ahtyrka, Marioupol and Alexandria. A total of 120 Hussars.

janner
Colonel
Colonel

Re: White Russia and Ahtyrka Hussars

Post by janner » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:03 pm

Looking good - any plans to add pennants?
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:13 pm

Yeah.

Do you recommend any? Don't have control over who sells them.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Flags of War does have a large number of different Pennants

http://www.flagsofwar.co.uk/index.php?r ... th=145_134

Cheers,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Prince Henry
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Prince Henry » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:49 am

Nicely done!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Theodore Roosevelt
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:14 am

Well done, Truls! :D

I'm looking forward to painting up two 24-figure regiments of these (Mariupol & Sumskii) from my lead pile, when I finish the last foot battery I'm currently working on . . . For 'variety', I chose one unit in 'campaign' and one in 'full dress' uniform. Based on my research, neither regiment had adopted lances in 1812 (Borodino timeframe), so I've gone with 'swords-only' figures, so I have no recommendations on lance pennants. :oops:
Bryce
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:46 am

Yes Truls,
They look very good. I thought to have read somewhere that those Hussars carried a Lance onle in the first Squadron but it could be also the first rank of each Squadron :oops:

But they are all well done!

Cheers,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:49 pm

All my hussars will be 24 or stronger (4 or more squadrons ) so front squadrons will be lance while those in back won't have them.
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:02 am

I'm also going for front rank only with lance (and no pelises for lance armed troops) for the Elizabethgrads. So I hope they had them! If not they make have to change regiment.

Any suggestions, Bryce?

Edit: I see Parkhaev lists them as one of the eight issued lances. However, they don't seem to have used pennants.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:22 pm

It depends on how ‘historical’ you want to be, Stephen, versus getting a nice mix of regimental ‘colours’ on the table. If we follow the ‘historical’ path of ‘formal’ organisation, consulting A.V. Viskovatov’s Organisation of the Russian Army: 1801-1825 http://marksrussianmilitaryhistory.info ... tore.htm#2 we find your Elisavetgrad Hussars as follows:
October – 1810 – ‘solo’ (un-brigaded), assigned to support the 4th Infantry Division, 1st Corps.
October – 1811 – re-organised into the 2nd Cavalry Division, brigaded with the Izyum Hussars.
May – 1812 – assigned to support 2nd Infantry Corps (still part of 2nd Cav. Div.) – 1st Western Army (Barclay); their brigade fellows (Izyum Hussars) are assigned to support the 4th Infantry Corps.
December – 1812 – reorganised into the 1st Hussar Division, 1st Brigade, and brigaded with the Grodno Hussars
August – 1814 – as part of the reorganized 4th Infantry Corps, the 3rd Hussar Division, 1st Brigade, the Elisavetgrad Hussars are brigaded again with the Izyum Hussars.

So much for ‘formal’ organisation. At any given battle you might find individual hussar regiments operationally re-assigned nearly anywhere. For example, looking at the battle of Borodino (Alex Mikaberidze’s OOB http://www.napoleon-series.org/military ... eOOB1.html) you find the Elisavetsgrad Hussars in the 1st Reserve Cavalry Corp (Uvarov), 3rd Brigade, brigaded with the Nezhinsk Dragoon Regiment. By the autumn of 1813, prior to Leipzig, the Elisavetgrad Hussars are serving with Winzingerode’s Russian Corps (as part of the Allied ‘Army of the North’ nominally under Bernadotte), and are brigaded with the St.Petersburg Dragoon Regiment (see: http://www.napoleon-series.org/military ... goob3.html ).

Personally, given the regimental uniform colours, I'd probably paint up the Izyum Hussars to go with the Elisavetgradskis.
Bryce
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:36 pm

I've picked them because they formed part of Tuchkov's initial force at Lubino :)
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:19 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Flags of War does have a large number of different Pennants

Cheers,
Günter

Any info ln pennants for husaars? Color based on squadrons?
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:55 pm

janner wrote:I've picked them because they formed part of Tuchkov's initial force at Lubino :)
Sorry, Stephen, I'd forgotten the 'background' behind your project. Based on that battle, then my recommendation of the Izyum Hussars still stands: http://mapswar2.x10host.com/maps_war_1812.htm#_maps_ggg.
Bryce
janner
Colonel
Colonel

Post by janner » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:43 am

Gunfreak wrote:
Friedrich August I. wrote:Flags of War does have a large number of different Pennants

Cheers,
Günter

In 1812 it appears that only the Alexandria, Akhtyrka, Grodno, Elizavetgrad, Izyum, Mariupol, Pavlograd, and Sumy regiments received lances. Most did not appear to have used pennants. Those that did include:

Izyumskiy - red over blue
Pavlogradskiy – turquiose over white
Akhtyrskiy - used Polish pennants for deception (Polish raspberry/crimson over white)
Greystreak wrote:
janner wrote:I've picked them because they formed part of Tuchkov's initial force at Lubino :)
Sorry, Stephen, I'd forgotten the 'background' behind your project. Based on that battle, then my recommendation of the Izyum Hussars still stands: http://mapswar2.x10host.com/maps_war_1812.htm#_maps_ggg.
Many thanks, Bryce :)
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:51 pm

janner wrote:
Gunfreak wrote:

Cheers,
Günter

In 1812 it appears that only the Alexandria, Akhtyrka, Grodno, Elizavetgrad, Izyum, Mariupol, Pavlograd, and Sumy regiments received lances. Most did not appear to have used pennants. Those that did include:

Izyumskiy - red over blue
Pavlogradskiy – turquiose over white
Akhtyrskiy - used Polish pennants for deception (Polish raspberry/crimson over white)
Greystreak wrote:
Many thanks, Bryce :)
Thanks, my hussars are based on Leipzig, would pennants been more common by then?