Mogadishu Shanty rebuild 28mm Hammerhead

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:17 pm

Decided i did'nt like the shanty town i did a few year ago, so i filled up my bin and began building a new one, took me 4 days to create the two and these are ready for the Hammerhead show game on the 5th March.

First buildings, foamboard walls and textured with clay and sharp sand and some bird sand mixed up.

screen capture tool

Bit different, i wanted a smelly walkway through the place,it looks dirty and the water running down the center adds to give it that it stinks of piss and god knows what.

image hosting

Again the urine look and what is round that corner i won't tell you

host image online

Round the corner, i clean the dirt up for you, anyway the urine is made from magic water effect, fantasic stuff and goes along way, it does not discolour or show any bubbles, i just mixed it up and poured out to where i wanted it to go.

post img

Rusty iron fence is from a railway shop, i cut it up abit, the corrugated sheet look is cardboard, i bent it and give it some damage, i don't want this place to look to cosy.

adult photo hosting

Above shot, you can get a better look at the corrugated sheets, i cut and ran a screwdriver across them to give the look of the crap, throw anything on top who cares.

post image online

Ok onto shanty building number two, muggers paradise, i put planking down the walkway for this one because you really don't want to step into the muck.

pic host

I think the beauty of these two shanty buildings is you can space them apart a few inches and create say a humvee coming down the alleyway.

free pic

I overlap the building over the wall on this one and put a window in because if i lived in this place i would be at the window all the time for fresh air supply, i put iron bars on the inside.

free upload

The pallet is made from lollypop stick, the rust look is brass mix up with dark brown and highlighted with orange, all weathering is PVA mix with black and 50% water, this was painted on the cuts and rust and also create the shadows.

From above you can see the weathered look better, "this is my crib, now get the hell outta here"

screen grab

Thanks for the interest and its a ideal place for first time buyers to get onto that ladder, trust me i am a Estate agent.