First Naps for a long time

OK, so after two years I've finally given in to having a section of the FORUM specifically set up to discuss painting techniques, display examples, show your latest projects and chat about this vital part of the hobby. Manufacturers please feel free to post up your sculpts, ask questions about what the gamers are after and generally promote your work.. no charge! Painters, please also feel free to post up your work for comment and critique. I can't promise the unreserved adulation characteristic of some other fora but I would hope you'd get constructive and measured comment!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: First Naps for a long time

Post by obriendavid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:15 pm

message deleted
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:16 am

Top stuff Dave.

Will definitely need to get our allies together for a R2E game.

I have some Foundry Landwehr cavalry that I'll bring over to Barry's next weekend, so you can have some mounted support.

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:45 pm

The latest recruits are the 2nd Battalion 14th Silesian Landwehr.
This fifteen figure unit is the perfect size for Republic to Empire to represent the 299 men that Nafziger lists them as being on the 3rd day at Leipzig. A unit this small could be brigaded with another one to bring it up to a stronger force but it obviously started out stronger, around 700 men so I will be adding more to bring it up to size especially for gaming in Black Powder but this will have to wait as I'm going to finish off the Cossack unit that's been sitting on my painting table for ages.

I had an interesting chat with Barry and Bob at our game on Sunday about this Landwehr unit and how it should be rated. Most rules automatically list all Landwehr units as the poorest quality but when do they get a chance to improve? This chat goes back to Barry's article about when are Guards Guards? Since being mobilised this unit has campaigned for three months, fought in three major actions, lost over half its strength yet is in the Advance Guard of 1st Corps fighting alongside the Lieb Grenadier battalion, Guard Jaeger and the Lieb Hussars. So are they still Raw troops?
They might not have the spit and polish of the Prussian Guards or drill as well but they have more battle experience. I'm sure there are many other units in other armies with similar stories.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:18 am

Hi Dave,

A question about those Skirmisher Movement Trays:
Are they making transport more difficult? Do the Minis tend to topple over?
I mean do those Minis stuck firmly in the trays?

I ask because I consider something similiar for a "different" Timeline.
Can't make my mind about how to base them :roll:

Thanks,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:50 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:Hi Dave,

A question about those Skirmisher Movement Trays:
Are they making transport more difficult? Do the Minis tend to topple over?
I mean do those Minis stuck firmly in the trays?

I ask because I consider something similiar for a "different" Timeline.
Can't make my mind about how to base them :roll:

Thanks,
Günter
The figures fit in quite tightly but any I'm unsure about I add a tiny spot of Blue Tack to hold them in place but it still allows the figures to be removed easily. The bases probably take up slightly more room in the carrying boxes but I much prefer them.
Dave
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by chema1986 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Congrats ! you have a more than respectable force painted and ready for action :)

Cheers

Chema
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:37 am

chema1986 wrote:Congrats ! you have a more than respectable force painted and ready for action :)

Cheers

Chema
Thanks! I had hoped to get more painted but work and family holidays have gotten in the way so I haven't painted anything since September.
Dave