Testing morale whilst in melee

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Testing morale whilst in melee

Post by J Anderson » Mon May 19, 2008 3:48 pm

Hi Barry

Played our first game last night without too much trouble but one point did arise about what can and can`t be done when two units are in melee. The situation came up when my infantry unit was charged by a unit of cavalry. The cavalry passed his test to charge I rolled to stand and fire and ended up shaken I fired and the cavalry lost a figure,the cavalry passed the charge home test and were in. I then lost only one figure in the first round of melee so we were squits on losses. We then fought another round which the cavalry with crap rolling didn`t inflict one casualty on the shaken infantry. So here the queries started, Would the infantry be able to test at the end of the first and second turn to try and rally from shaken whilst in melee or because no casualties were inflicted by the end of the second turn would the infantry lose their shaken status.The cavalry didn`t even kill anything in the third round either so we just moved both units back a full move but the infantry remained shaken as we couldn`t decide if testing was appropriate whilst in melee.

Cheers Jim.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:55 pm

OK Jim... the BIG question is... who won the game :wink:

To answer your question: When in melee the infantry just have to tough it out (as yours clearly did) until the three rounds are up. Even if they take no casualties they cannot recover from SHAKEN as they are still engaged. To recover from SHAKEN automatically, a SHAKEN unit has to take no losses in the subsequent turn and being unengaged. They would lose their SHAKEN in the tunr after the melee (if not attack by a new opponent) but would have to stand for a turn as would the cavalry after they had borken off.

Just goes to show though... some people doubted the 'infantry don't fight back' rule in combat but it works more often than might at first be imagined. The big chance for the Horse is on the initial round with the 3,4,5 6 to hit (if French)

Hope this clears it up
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Tue May 20, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi Barry

I lost but I was out numbered(the other guy who has the rest of the irish jacobites wasn`t there).Yup your right infantry can stand up to cavalry even if it is shaken as long as it does some damage to the cavalry as it comes in to charge . Cheers.

Jim.