Crossing Linear Obstacles

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:32 am

Hi Barry,

My turn to ask a question, Jim's taken time out to lick his wound's after another Williamite victory today :lol:
One thing that did slow the game down and had us having a big debate about how infantry crossed linear obstacles which in this case was a stone wall.In the rules on Page 16 at the top of the page "Effect Of Terrain On Movement" Infantry throw a -D6 from their 4" movement so on a throw of a 4, 5 or 6 they do not get across.What happened in our game was that the Infantry threw a 3 and so was able to get only 1" over the wall this still left half the base not over the wall and the pike base behind still to cross.
The question is does the Infantry have to dice again next turn until the full unit is over the linear obstacle or once diced for and succeeding has the whole unit crossed.
Kirke's Regiment took a bit of a pounding today losing 55% casualties due to first having a field gun firing at it and then as it advanced a light gun joined in the carnage, but with excellent morale throws remained firm and fired it's first volley at a enemy cavalry squadron who were about to charge next turn.The cavalry received two casualties and failed their morale test and retired.
The game ended with 1 cavalry squadron and 1 infantry battalion of Jim's routing off table.The fore said enemy gunners routed for one turn, because of the infantry rout and failing their morale tests.It took Jim's C-in-C to stop them routing off table.

Regards........Ray.

J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Ok don`t rub it in. It was still nice to see kirkey boys regiment smeared all over the grass though.

Jim.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:57 pm

So Jim made chops out of the Lambs!

On the getting over linear obstacles point:

The unit first moves up to the obstacle. On the following turn it crosses minus the number of inches rolled on a D6. If this is greater than it's nmove distance in the current formation then it doesn't cross that turn. If it is less then the unit is immediately over the wall in its entireity and moves the current formation move less the number of D6 inches. Units are over OR not, never stuck half way across. That means the pikes get over too.

hope this helps.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Thank you Barry,

That clear's that rule up :wink:
Chop's out of Lamb's I like it :lol: They were a bit too tough to his liking though Barry :wink:

Regards......Ray.

J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi
I like the the linear obstacle rule very elegant. How come ray I get the worlds worse cavalry commanders on my side every week anyway.

Jim
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:42 pm

Jim,

You must of had your cavalrymen mounted on nag's or mounted facing the wrong way :shock: Martin did throw some good dice, I mean the odd's were totally in your favour to start with :cry: your squadron was Elite and at full strength where as Martin's was Drilled and down to 4 figures.Six dice and they only managed 1 casualty where as Martin delivered 3 casualties out of four dice :wink: and even with the Elite status still managed to fail it's moral test and galloped off the field of battle to much glee :lol: from my side.
If this happens again Jim I'm going to nickname them "F - troop" :lol:

Cya Sunday.

Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:45 pm

Hi Barry,

Sorry to bother you with this again, but unfortunatly simple logic hasn't prevailed and questions were asked again.
Can you cross a linear obstacle e.g. wall in march column and could you charge across also.
I would say no to both, but I've got to ask for the others.
I would also think you can charge enemy defending a wall, these counting as being in hard cover and continue to count this until pushed back.
Do those following up have to dice to cross the wall as normal.
I hope your answer Barry will finally resolve this.......Ray.

barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:13 pm

I'll deal with the column/linear obstacle point on the other thread Ray but for now:

No charges over linear obstacles.
Unshaken foot behind a linear obstacle such as wall, fence, hedge, abattis, earthwork CAN be charged by Foot.
Follow up over a wall etc is not tested for as by then in combat both units are DISORDERED and the fighting is considered to be taking place continuously as the defenders fall back and the attackers follow up
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford