multiple questions

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

multiple questions

Post by J Anderson » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi Barry

Me again, got a few more questions for you.

1) Can a troops in a column cross a linear obstacle.

2) Does a unit measure from centre to centre to obtain the range for firing or is it just it`s nearest point to the enemies nearest point(I think the later).

3) If a unit wishes to turn 90 degrees does the whole unit wheel the whole distance on the middle base or does the unit just turn the end base and the rest move up behind it like a column ( I went with the first).

4) If a unit pursuing loses contact and is fired on it needs to test to A) rally from pursuit and B) for shooting casualties. If it fails which outcome will it choose as it has two reasons to test.

Cheers
Jim
Churchill
General
General

Turn 90 Degree or Wheel

Post by Churchill » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:31 am

Hi Barry,

Sorry Jim, but I think this needs to be explained in more depth as it caused a heated debate.
This Sunday during our BLB game one of my cavalry squadrons won a melee and routed Jim's cavalry.Unfortunatly they fell short when pursuing and left them 3" on the left flank of one of Jim's infantry battalions.
On the next turn the infantry battalion with a form marker turned 90 degrees from a line facing to it's front to a line facing it's flank.
I disagreed with this and said they needed to wheel around, but in the rules Page 11 under Form in brackets it states (i.e. turning a battalion in line 90 degrees in which case rotation should be done around the centre stand).Next on Page 14 under Changing Formation it states (Turn 90 degrees to face or 180 degrees takes half a turn and place a Move marker).
So which is it a Form or Move Marker.
Because small arms fire comes before morale Jim's infantry were able to turn 90 degrees and shoot at my cavalry before I could rally back.
Was this a practiced manouver in the late 17th century as to do it the left flank would have to turn about 180 degrees move back until in line with it's command stand then turn about again facing the same direction as the other two stands.
Not Happy :evil: ...........Ray

J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:06 pm

Hi Ray

The 90 degree turn needs a move marker we established that. We just put the wrong marker down because it mentioned it in the form section at the start before we read the proper section on it a little glich thats all.

Jim.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:30 pm

1) Can a troops in a column cross a linear obstacle.

TECHNICALLY YES.
MOVEMENT IN MARCH COLUMN IS 8 inches. Sequence should be as follows:

1. Unit marches up to obstacle and stops.
2. Next turn, dice to see the number of inches subtracted from movement. A three stand unit is actually 6inches(150mm) long.. ignore the pike stand. Anything more than a 2 will see it fail to clear the obstacle.
This has up till now been a judgment call from me but I think I will now have to write it into the movement section:
If the move distance sees the unit 50% or more over the obstacle then the entire unit can be considered to have cleared it. If less than 50% clears the obstacle ie a die roll of 6 then the unit will test to reduce its movement in the same way in the subsequent turn it will also be DISORDERED for that time period.
HOPE THIS CLARIFIES FOR EVERYONE

2) Does a unit measure from centre to centre to obtain the range for firing or is it just it`s nearest point to the enemies nearest point(I think the later).

CENTRE OF FIRING UNIT TO NEAREST POINT OF ENEMY UNIT
3) If a unit wishes to turn 90 degrees does the whole unit wheel the whole distance on the middle base or does the unit just turn the end base and the rest move up behind it like a column ( I went with the first).

THIS POINT NEEDS A VERY CLEAR REVISED DEFINITION WHICH I HAVE BEEN CONSIDERING FOR SOME TIME. AS IT HAS OCCURED IN SEVERAL THREADS I WILL GIVE A DEFINITION IN A SEPERATE POST

4) If a unit pursuing loses contact and is fired on it needs to test to A) rally from pursuit and B) for shooting casualties. If it fails which outcome will it choose as it has two reasons to test.
GETTING OUT OF TROUBLE TAKES PRECIDENCE SO : TEST FOR SHOOTING CASUALTIES - IF IT FAILS - RETIRE FROM FIRE.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Turn 90 Degree or Wheel

Post by Churchill » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:47 pm

Jim why don't we just wait for Barry to answer the question instead of carrying on this debate.
For me I think what you did was a illegal manouver and you misunderstood the wording slightly.Yes you can turn 90 degrees, but not from line to line, only line to column of march or vice versa.
I don't think troops of the late 17th century were Drilled enough to complete this complicated manouver (SEE ABOVE IN MY LAST POST) and would they have the movement to carry it out when they only have 4".
One stand needs to turn 180 degrees which takes half a turn then wheel back until in line with it's command base however much distance that may be (which remember is doubled) and finally turn another 180 degrees to face the same way as it's other two bases.
:roll: :shock: wheres Barry when you need him :wink:

Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Opps sorry Barry didn't see you there :shock: good good good this answers alot.

Thank you......Ray.