One balanced army

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

One balanced army

Post by Saxon Warrior » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:30 pm

This is my first foray into a new period, in fact in thirty years of wargaming I have never done a "Horse and Musket" army before, no Napoleonics, ACW or whatever. But to the nitty gritty, what I plan is the following, Danish by the way.
2 Infantry brigades of three battalions
1 Converged Grenadier battalion (12 figs.)
2 Squadrons of Horse
2 Squadrons of Dragoons with dismounted dupes
2 Light guns (representing battalion guns)
1 9pdr. guns
plus appropriate Generals, engineers and assorted hangers on.

I'd appreciate advice, comments and constructive criticisms gentlemen.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.
Churchill
General
General

One balanced army

Post by Churchill » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi Dave,

You don't say what Danish your thinking of building 1690's or later e.g. Marlburian allies.
I would say Brigades of 4 infantry battalions (each of 18 figures) this gives you 72 figures in a infantry brigade.Two brigades gives you 144 infantry figures.
In this period there should be a cavalry figure for every two infantrymen, so this gives you 72 cavalrymen, which equals 12 squadrons of 6 cavalry.
I'd totally agree with your artillery one light gun per infantry brigade and one field gun with three crew.
As for generals, one C-in-C, two infantry brigadier generals and two cavalry brigadier generals.
Converged Grenadier hmmm not sure :? research the army first if such units exist then go for it.
I'm building Marlborough's British army at Blenhiem 14 infantry btns in three brigades and 17 cavalry squadrons again in three brigades.

Hope this is of some help........Ray.

Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:11 pm

You could use a full battalion of grenadiers as the danish had a Grenadier Regiment at least from 1701 and onwards. I don't know how many men there were in this regiment but at least a battalion.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:05 pm

I would say on your original army list you are a bit light on Horse. I would probably have gone with 4 squadrons of Horse plus two of dragoons... the artillery uniforms are particularly attractive .... Purple coats with green facings! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Saxon Warrior
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Saxon Warrior » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:14 pm

Thanks for the help chaps. It looks like I need more cavalry...Boo hiss don't like painting cavalry, especially as all the Horse regiments seem to have worn grey coats, boring, but never mind.
As for the converged Grenadiers there is a picture of such a creature in the gallery. Hence the six infantry battalions, two figures from each making a battalion of twelve.
It was the purple gunners that were the deciding factor in my choice of army, a lovely contrast to the red guns.

Dave.
P.S. Going for the 1690s look.