Cavalry Squadrons

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Darkman
Major
Major

Cavalry Squadrons

Post by Darkman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi all first post so be gentle with me.

I have at last had a chance to look through my copy of BLB and I have a couple of questions on cavalry squadrons.

Looking at some of the examples most regiments have 2 or more squadrons.
1:- what is the advantage in having units of more than one squadron apart from the all or nothing rule?
2:- can a regiment split off squardrons during a game?
3:- can squadrons or even regiments join together during a game?
4:- if I charge with a regiment of more than one squadron (not an all or nothing charge) then is it only the first squadron that takes any shooting casualties? and if they fail to charge then what are the second squadrons options.

Hope this has not been asked before. Thanks
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:05 pm

Welcome Darkman :D please see answers below

1:- what is the advantage in having units of more than one squadron apart from the all or nothing rule? NONE - it just represents the true historical size of some larger cavalry units
2:- can a regiment split off squardrons during a game? YES
3:- can squadrons or even regiments join together during a game? NOT FOR MORALE PURPOSES
if I charge with a regiment of more than one squadron (not an all or nothing charge) then is it only the first squadron that takes any shooting casualties? and if they fail to charge then what are the second squadrons options.

Two sqdns cannot charge together unless it is an all or nothing charge - there is no advantage to doing this. If the regiment is deployed in line of squadrons the second cannot chagre anyway, it can manoeuvre after the successful charge of the lead squadron. If deployed in a line abreast they both can do what they like EXCEPT charge the SAME target
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:07 am

Thanks for the reply Barry.

Answer to question 3 answers the other question I had about regiments joining for an "All or nothing charge"

I assume then that individual Squadrons therefore contribute to the number of units a commander can move each turn?

Thanks
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Exactly right! - each squadron counts as a unit EVEN when the regiment is operating together
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford