First big game

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

First big game

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:57 pm

Barry, we fought our first biggish battle of BLB at the club last night, you can see a brief report from Angus here, http://www.edinburghwargames.com/Journal%2024.htm

The rules seemed to work well but a couple of situations arose which we were not sure of.

My 3 squadrons of Allied cavaly put a 'An All or Nothing' charge into a 3 squ unit of French Dragoons who only counter charged with 1 squ. In the combat I wiped out the French squ.
1. Do cavalry pursue after wiping out an enemy squadron?

We decided they did pursue and my pursuit move took me into the other two squadrons.
2. Do they have a chance to counter charge?

After much discussion we allowed the French to counter charge but my two dice of movement still took me into them and they were routed in good order.

On the other flank two units of cavalry met and the Bavarians lost the combat and were pushed back 4" and passed their morale test but the Allied cavalry had also lost casualties and had to test and failed.
3. Did we do this right and if so, what happens to the allied cavalry?

There were probably a few other questions but I can't remember them now but overall I thought the rules worked well, apart from me rolling 2's for movement for the first three moves of the battle.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First big game

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:49 pm

obriendavid wrote:Barry, we fought our first biggish battle of BLB at the club last night, you can see a brief report from Angus here, http://www.edinburghwargames.com/Journal%2024.htm

The rules seemed to work well but a couple of situations arose which we were not sure of.

My 3 squadrons of Allied cavaly put a 'An All or Nothing' charge into a 3 squ unit of French Dragoons who only counter charged with 1 squ. In the combat I wiped out the French squ.
1. Do cavalry pursue after wiping out an enemy squadron?

We decided they did pursue and my pursuit move took me into the other two squadrons.
2. Do they have a chance to counter charge?

After much discussion we allowed the French to counter charge but my two dice of movement still took me into them and they were routed in good order.

On the other flank two units of cavalry met and the Bavarians lost the combat and were pushed back 4" and passed their morale test but the Allied cavalry had also lost casualties and had to test and failed.
3. Did we do this right and if so, what happens to the allied cavalry?

There were probably a few other questions but I can't remember them now but overall I thought the rules worked well, apart from me rolling 2's for movement for the first three moves of the battle.

Cheers
Dave
See answers below Dave :D

1 & 2. Actually having destroyed the enemy there is no need to pursue into their other squadrons. If even one had survived and he had nowhere to rout but through his stationary fellows then you could either automatically pursue (if they were within your pursuit distance D10 + Normal move) or test to cease pursuit. He COULD NOT countercharge if interpenetrated by the routing first squadron. If not interpenetrated(ie the routers went for a gap) Then I would allow a test to countercharge in the usual fashion.

3. No need to test the winners of melee Dave even if they did take casualties.

Read Angus's blog on the game and met John & Colin today at Albannich. So I heard all about the infantry's poor showing and Mr O'Brien's cavalry heroics :roll:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: First big game

Post by obriendavid » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:35 pm

[quote="barr7430 Read Angus's blog on the game and met John & Colin today at Albannich. So I heard all about the infantry's poor showing and Mr O'Brien's cavalry heroics :roll:[/quote]

Thanks for the answers Barry, it sounds as if we nearly came up with right answers. As to my cavalry heroics, 3 squadrons of British and Dutch cavalry in an All or Nothing charge take some stopping, plus I rolled some good dice and Bill's dragoons rolled badly not even inflicting one casualty. I'm slowly working my way through all my units and rebasing them for BLB, so far I've got 7 British battalions, 2 battalion guns and 2 brigadier bases finished so far. Only 35 battalions, all the guns and cavalry to go. :shock: Unfortunately John managed to roll up a Plodder for his commander which was a pity as he had the British Guards, Grenadiers, Royal Scots and the Buffs in his brigade. It also didn't help when he kept rolling ones and two's for movement. :twisted:

Cheers
Dave