Dragoons in combat

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Dragoons in combat

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:45 pm

Barry, the main rules mention that dragoons loose 1 figure for every four fighting, I have assumed that this was for every round of combat but I have just noticed on the playsheet that it says "only after 1st round". Can you tell me what is correct please?

The playsheet also has rules for hussars but I can't see anything in the main rules about them. It might be nice to add the squadron of hussars the Bavarians had to my force especially as they went to Flanders with the rest of the army after Blenheim. I wouldn't expect to use them in a main battle line but they would look pretty.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:19 pm

Dragoons lose the one in four from the first round Dave.

Hussars are under Light cavalry in the Eastern Wars supplementary rules I think :oops:
I believe at one point I actually made the Hussars lose one figure in three in combat, but I don't think I wrote this into the main rules.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:28 pm

barr7430 wrote:I believe at one point I actually made the Hussars lose one figure in three in combat, but I don't think I wrote this into the main rules.
Barry, the Hussars losing one figure in three in combat is on the playsheet.

Am I correct in thinking that troops such as Dragoons and Hussars that lose 1 figures from every three or four count this minus for all rounds of combat or do they count all figures as fighting in subsquent rounds of combat?

Cheers
Dave
Last edited by obriendavid on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Hi

Just painted a squadron of dragoons but haven`t used them yet and was wondering why do they lose one figure in four instead of one in three as they are organized as two bases of three figure per squadron. Obviously you have to demonstate how they aren`t up to the standard of cavalry when charging or fighting mounted but just wanted to know the logic behind it.

Cheers
jim.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:56 am

Dave & Jım

the logıc ıs that these troops were not traıned to fıght ın the formal way of the horse regıments. The dragoons were stıll maınly mounted ınfantry om ınferıor horses therefore combat abılıty ıs weakened. In the case of the Hussars they are most lıkely ırregular troops and traıned to fıght ın a hıt an run sort of fashıon therefore they lose even more dıce. A crude but effectıve mechanısm gentlemen..

greetıngs from Turkıye and by the way we had a 6.4 Rıchter earthquake ın my town thıs mornıng.. that woke us up :shock:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:29 am

Thanks Barry, I realise your rational behind the losing one in every four figures because of the poorer quality of dragoons against cavalry I just wasn't sure if you had intended carrying this over into a continuing melee.

Hope you and the family keep safe from earthquakes.

Cheers
Dave