Cavalry basing

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
clapezza2
Private
Private

Cavalry basing

Post by clapezza2 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:38 pm

The Cavalry' squadrons are on 2 bases of 3 mounted figures, this give for larger regiment like the Bavarian currassiers in WSS a regimental strenght of 36 figures. A very large unit.
I'm thinking to form the cavalry's squadrons on 2 bases of 4cm X 5cm with 2 figures
for base instead of 6cm X 5cm with 3 figures, so I have the regiment with 24 figures instead 36.
My infantry have the standard basing, do You think is it possible and linear with the rule system?

Many thanks, Claudio.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:46 pm

Claudıo, wıth 6 fıgures per squadron that would gıve sıx squadrons for the Bavarıans per regıment.. I thought they only had four but that was just from memory. You do not have to fıeld all sıx squadrons however :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
clapezza2
Private
Private

Post by clapezza2 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:49 pm

I read this information on Sapherson's booklet "Marburian Armies 1701-1721" : "The cuirassier regiments each had six squadrons of about 150 officers and men".
Ok I can field only some squadrons and not the full strengh regiment, but my question is if is right have cavalry bases of 4cm wide and infantry bases of the standard size because the squadrons have a lower frontage.
clapezza2
Private
Private

Post by clapezza2 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:07 pm

Barry
I have some doubt about the use of cavalry squadrons.

In the WSS some Armies (Bavarian, Austrian) have cavalry regiments of 6 squadrons, so if I want do an all or nothing charge, do I need to split the regiment in 2 parts or can I use all the 6 squadrons one behind the others?

If I can split the regiment in 2 parts of 3 squadrons, can I use the whole regiment to do an all or nothing charge with 2 squadrons wide and 3 deep all in contact of each other?

Finally, what about cavalry(expecially mounted dragoons) firing in the fire phase?

Claudio.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:53 am

Claudio,

I would split the large Bavarian/Imperial regiments into two sub divisions of three squadrons(rathr like the Russians did in the Napoleonic wars with their 10 squadron regiments). There would be no advantage in charging with the 6 squadrons in All or nothing. If you split the regiment into two divisions they will not be able to charge the same target in the same turn. I am thinkng about amending this rule but have nto yet made a decision.

Hope this helps
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
clapezza2
Private
Private

Post by clapezza2 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:17 pm

Barry,many thanks for the help.