Oudenarde game

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Oudenarde game

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:04 pm

Barry, had a great game last night but a few rules we were unsure about.

Strategic movement.
Have you decided to drop this from BLB as we couldn't find it?

Cavalry being charged.
What happens to cavalry that fail their morale test for being charged if they themselves haven't declared a charge?
Do they rout?

Pursuing troops hitting new enemy
If pursuing troops hit a different enemy unit does that unit first have to take a morale test for being charged?

Drawn cavalry combat
What happens after two units of cavalry inflict equal casualties in combat?
The rules state that cavalry must test for suffering casualties is that only from shooting? We tested for both units and they both broke which didn't seem quite right.

All or nothing charge into continuing melee.
Do all the figures in this unit fight in the second round of combat but needing 6's to hit?

I think there were a few other questions but I'll let Bill post them.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:15 am

Strategic movement.
Have you decided to drop this from BLB as we couldn't find it?

I DID DROP IT DAVE AND INCREASED THE ROAD BONUS MOVES FROM 50% TO 100%
Cavalry being charged.
What happens to cavalry that fail their morale test for being charged if they themselves haven't declared a charge?
CAVALRY BEING CHARGED HAVE THE CHANCE TO COUNTERCHARGE OR EVADE - IF THEY FAIL THE TEST AFTER THE CHOICE OF OPTION IS MADE BY THE OWNING PLAYER THEN THEY RECEIVE THE CHARGE AT THE HALT
Do they rout?
SEE LAST ANSWER
Pursuing troops hitting new enemy
If pursuing troops hit a different enemy unit does that unit first have to take a morale test for being charged?
YES BUT THAT IS THE ACTION ON THE NEXT TURN. THE PURSUERS CONTACT THE ENEMY DURING THE COMPULSORY MOVE TURN BUT THE COMBAT AND TESTING ACTIVITY IS DONE ON THE SUBSEQUENT TURN DURING MELEE
Drawn cavalry combat
The rules state that cavalry must test for suffering casualties is that only from shooting? We tested for both units and they both broke which didn't seem quite right.
NO NOT RIGHT DAVE. IF THE MELEE IS A DRAW THEN NEITHER SIDE TESTS AND THEY CONTINUE TO FIGHT NEXT ROUND
All or nothing charge into continuing melee.
Do all the figures in this unit fight in the second round of combat but needing 6's to hit?
CAN'T ALL OR NOTHING CHARGE INTO AN EXISTING MELEE IT HAS TO BE A MELEE 'OPENER' IF A MULTI SQUADRON REGIMENT WISHES TO JOIN AN EXISTING MELEE IT HAS TO DO IT SQUADRON BY SQUADRON OVER A NUMBER OF TURNS COMMESURATE WITH THE NUMBER OF FRESH SQUADRONS
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:03 pm

barr7430 wrote: Pursuing troops hitting new enemy
YES BUT THAT IS THE ACTION ON THE NEXT TURN. THE PURSUERS CONTACT THE ENEMY DURING THE COMPULSORY MOVE TURN BUT THE COMBAT AND TESTING ACTIVITY IS DONE ON THE SUBSEQUENT TURN DURING MELEE

Drawn cavalry combat
NO NOT RIGHT DAVE. IF THE MELEE IS A DRAW THEN NEITHER SIDE TESTS AND THEY CONTINUE TO FIGHT NEXT ROUND
]
I know pursuit happens in the next move but I'm still not sure if you are saying YES they do have to test before they are hit or NO they are caught by the pursuing troops too quickly to even take a morale reaction?

Barry, the rules say that cavalry take a test if they receive casualties, it doesn't say that they don't take one if they are in combat. Is that what you intend to happen?

Your idea of a FAQ pdf sounds like a good idea and thanks very much for answering all my awkward questions

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:28 pm

YES they do test Dave.

As to the second question I think this is an anomaly that I haven't explained well in the rules.

Cavalry do take a morale test when they receive casualties FROM FIRE
They do not take one if they take casulaties in a DRAWN bout of melee.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:38 pm

Barry, thanks for the further clarifications.

You obviously have the patience of a saint :wink:

Cheers
Dave
Jack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jack » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:51 pm

obriendavid wrote:You obviously have the patience of a saint :wink:
He'd have to have where you're concerned. :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

See you Thurs for BoB, when you can get your revenge if you think you're hard enough. Aih Gurkali
Jack