Charging into woods

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Charging into woods

Post by obriendavid » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:58 am

This question arose in last nights game thanks to 'beardy' Glanville.

Can cavalry charge infantry lining the edge of a wood and if so is this classed as a normal combat?

We reckoned that as the infantry count as being disordered for being in the wood the cavalry should be as well and should only hit on 6's.

As the game organizer I disallowed the charge as they were basically charging across the front of the infantry unit and could only contact with one cavalry man. You would think at Glanvilles age he would have learnt to shave by now :lol:

Another question arose which I think has been answered before but I can't find it.

In cavalry against infantry combats, am I correct in thinking that infantry don't get a chance to fight back in the second round of combat? Seems like a guaranteed victory for cavalry?

Apart from these two questions the game went really well execpt for Colin's dice rolling and we managed 9 moves with 30+ battalions plus cavalry in a normal club night.

Cheers
Dave
J Anderson
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by J Anderson » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi

Infantry don`t get to fight back vs cavalry in any round. They can fire as the charge goes in and can use a saving throw if the unit has pikemen present and the cavalry charge home. But in the second round they don`t even get the saving roll as they are classed as disorderd so the pikes are useless. Beat the cavalry in the first round or don`t beat them at all. I think thats right anyway.

Jim.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:37 pm

Thanks Jim, you are really getting the hang of this!! 8)

The 'cavalry win' is not a given Dave
I don't exactly know the probability calculation but in the first round a 6 figure squadron of say Dutch in the NYW would have 6 chances of 33%(5 or 6). If the Foot were formed they would have a 16% chance of saving each casualty(with pikes of course). In the second round the cavalry odds would drop dramatically. Against a good quality unit which is supported the push backs would not be enough to break them perhaps. I have seen many cases of infantry surviving and the cavalry commander gambling further squadrons who would then only kill on sixes.
Of course the better tactic to neutralise the opponents Horse with your own! :wink: then you don't have infatnry dealing wiht unwanted attentions from enemy Horse :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:54 pm

Thanks Barry, but the main question is, can cavalry charge into woods?

You know what Glanville is like, always trying something gamey :twisted:

Cheers
Dave

ps, did you get my other emails regarding R2E?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:09 pm

No they cannot charge into the woods but if the infantry were at the edge they could charge them.. killing on 6 only. If the infantry had been placed in this position at the beginining of the game AND HAD NOT MOVED AT ALL SINCE THEN they would not be disordered.. pikes could not be used IN the woods but I would allow a saving throw if:

1. Position above was as described
2. They were not SHAKEN when receiving the charge

Yup .. got your notes and have replied :D

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:22 pm

The infantry were at the edge of the woods, it was a refight of the battle of Wynendael we were fighting. The infantry had not moved but both Allied players suggested that they should be disordered so it was their fault. Apart from charging into the woods it was the fact that the cavalry basically charged across the length of the infantry battalion to only be able to contact one figure at the end of the battalion that didn't feel right.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:30 pm

your call sounds like the right one Dave

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Charging into Woods.

Post by Churchill » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:46 am

Hi David,

Just sticking my two peneth in :wink: Infantry only have their musketry to rely on when being charged by cavalry.If they cause a casualty the cavalry must test to charge home and the number of casualties caused by this musketry counts in the first round of combat to decide the winner.
Infantry don't fight back in hand-to-hand combat and the cavalry get a D6 for every surviving figure in contact and overlaps if any.
If the infantry were on the very edge of the woods and had not moved at all during the game then they would not be disordered.The cavalry charge make contact without actually entering the wood and so are not disordered either.In the second round of melee both units are disordered wether the cavalry win and push the infantry back or not.

Is that correct Barry..........Ray.