Artillery Hits & Cavalry Morale

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Chad
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Artillery Hits & Cavalry Morale

Post by Chad » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:00 pm

Have just started a 10mm Marlburian Game and I have a couple of questions. They may seem a little obvious, but I just wanted to clarify.

Artillery Hits - I think we are playing this correctly, but would appreciate the nod. Scores to hit infantry, for example, are 6@short range, 8@medium and 9@long (after the initial shot @ 10). It is the single die result that inflicts the hit, not the range of die rolls? So at medium it is 8, not 8-10? We just wondered that if a hit was available on a 9 at long range, would the 9 still be relevant at medium with the added 'bonus' of the 8 as well.

Cavalry Morale - French horse and Austrian Cuirassier met head-on in a bloody fight, with an Austrian win. The French rout, but supporting cavalry do not appear to have to take a morale check as a result. They only test if their compatriots have been destroyed. Does 'destroyed' literally mean destroyed or is the rout sufficient to prompt the morale check.

No problems with the above, just wanted to clarify.

Thanks

Chad
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:14 pm

Ok this is way we play it but I think it is ok.

Long range after first shot 9 and 0 (10) hit.
Medium range 8 to 0
Short range 6 to 0.

Nobody tests for Cavalry or Artillery routing. Page 23 first para.

We dropped the friends destroyed bit. Afterall they are more likley to be routing than completely destroyed. Also infanrty seeing friends destroyed get a bonus so why not cavalry?

Hope that helps.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:20 pm

As Darkman says for the hits.
The reason everyone ignores cavalry routs is that they would generally be darting about all over the place and nobody knew what the hell they were doing... charging, retreating, advancing, reforming???.. so ignore.

Infantry test for friends destroyed in combat is about men fighting to the last and the inspirational/vengence effect of seeing such bravery.

Drop whatever you like Darkman I am not the Government...
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Chad
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Arillery Hits, etc

Post by Chad » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:06 am

Thanks

Chad
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi Barry
We still use the infantry destroyed morale plus but only if the unit was not routing at the time. Which I think was what you intended.

The cavalry one we found made mass cavalry attacks hit or miss. The first game we played we had a mass of Austrian and Hessen Kassel squadrons moving up one wing, Due to a failed charge by the first regiment they were caught at the halt by an all or nothing from 3 french squadrons. End of combat front squadron was destroyed. 7 morale tests later and 3 squadrons were routing.

We decided that we wanted to play big games and have a chance of doing that in about 5 hours. Some things are easier if put to one side on occassions. We also play Napoleonics with General de Brigade and in order to move the game on we do not allow artillery to fire on enemy units unless they are moving towards them or have stopped in effective range. It does cut out a lot of long range fire just because you might hit on a 6 and cause 1 casualty. It also means that certain areas of the table can be left alone as opposing brigades or divisions look at one another.

BLB is a good set of rules. Must be something about it for the amount of time and money we have invested in figures and terrain. Martin has a project which he has been doing for about 10 years now to fight Blenheim in 15mm representing every battalion and every squadron. Since we have started this he is now wondering if we should do it in 25mm. Now he has bought enough figures to do all the Prussian Battalions and squadrons.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:33 pm

I am that point where I have to make a decision about the future of BLB. Our first print run is down to the last 20 and I am getting orders from traders which will burn that stock in a matter of days. I have to decide quickly whether to:

1. Revise totally and reissue
2. Run a lower quantity of the same book
3. Produce a new book that incorporates revised mechanisms and other new useful and related period material like scenarios.

Clarence and I will decide very soon what to do. The resaon I mention this is that continual playtest feedback amongst a very wide group (you the users!) has thrown up various situations which up till the public frelease had never occured in my many games. It means then that I may take a wholesale review and incorporate many new ideas to improve playability and improve the roubustness of the mechanisms,

cheers

Henry Ford
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:51 pm

If you take option 1 then that will be governed by what ever time you have to put into it. If you take option 3 then you will have to do option 2 anyway, as it will be a supplement to the exsisting rules with some rule changes.

I think it will be down to (after your personnel time) is a rewrite going to be different enough to persuade people to buy it if they have an exsisting set. Or is a supplement going to be at the right price if you have to buy the original rules as well if you do not have them.

Or you could do a rewrite of the rules but also sell as a online PDF your revisons for the exsisting rules. That way those that have the rules do not (unless they want to) have to buy a new set and beginners get a up to date set.

Lots of companies now sell their rules as downloads cuts down on the cost for both sides and also allows the author to use his time on other projects.

Just a thought.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:15 pm

barr7430 wrote: 3. Produce a new book that incorporates revised mechanisms and other new useful and related period material like scenarios.
Barry,

I really enjoy these rules and would be averse to seeing them changed beyond all recognition. Why fix what isn't broken?

Now, having got that off my chest, there are revised or "improved" mechanisms in the FAQ that you have online that could be incorporated into a new edition along with clearer examples for dummies like me who need all the help they can get. The more period related material and photies of wee sodjers that can be included, the better this edition would be.

And I still say it should be hardback!

"Beneath the Lily Banners - Deluxe Edition"

With kindest regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:38 pm

There is a high element of commercial naivety in chargeable pdf downloads.... what is to stop one person buying it and then e mailing it to 20 of his mates at the club.. open to vast commercial abuse I'm afraid. I won't be taking that route

Henry Ford
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:13 pm

What ever you decide Barry, stay true to your core values for the rules.
Patrick R
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Patrick R » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:18 pm

I have managed to drag several people of our club along to try out BLB. I have invested in research, but the lack of army lists and easily available one-source reference is putting off some people.

I understand that such a thing would a lot of work.

A second edition with more background material certainly would make it easier for people to take the plunge.