BLB FOR BEGINNERS

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

BLB FOR BEGINNERS

Post by dashing blade » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:57 am

Hey folks,
I'm planning a demo game for a couple of the lads who are intrested,i thought BLB would be ideal,but as this is a first game and they are new to wargaming. Maybe a watered down version? :?:
And then the question........how to water down. Its not that the boys are slow to learn,more that i dont want to overload info and put them off.

It would be ideal if someone else played and could have care of one fella and me the other.Alas, our unit is blessed with but one Churchill :D

Any thoughts :?:
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:49 am

Actually if the game set up is not complicated ie:
too much close/difficult terrain
too many built up areas
too much Horse

The game mechanics of BLB ARE very simple! For someone to help out with guidance/tips it would be useful to know what kind of table you were going to set up:

1. size
2.terrain
3.approx number of units and mix
4. objectives

From that, a few pointers would be fairly sraightforward 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:06 am

Mr Blade,

For a first game to give people a taste of it, cut out all variables i.e. only one class of troop or commander and limited terrain. Leave out dragoons. Work from the Summary Sheet only - if it's not on there, ignore it.

All the variables can be added in at a later stage. This should give an easy learning experience to new players assuming, of course, that they are not from the other side of the Pennines.

Regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:46 am

Barry,
Fully agree BLB is easy to use,however i'm approaching it from years of gaming and experience of other rule sets,i cant see it from their point of view! so i'm not sure what i would take for granted wont be confusing to them. :?
As for the game i thought no rivers or hills,maybe a small farm and a crossroads as an objective,no more than 3/4 infantry units and a couple of cav units. not sure wether to include a battery or a single gun :?:
Its a 8 x 4 table so no chance of clutter.
Jim, Also thought about average troops for both sides , but maybe a guard unit each to show qualitiy :?:
Any thoughts on giving both commanders Inspirational ratings to move things on a bit :?: or would this detract :?:

I'm hoping a couple of hours should do for the first game.Although if the bars open maybe a little longer. :D

P.S. No Yorkshire men on unit , but one lady!(But her dads Scottish so this makes up for it) :lol:
(The historical evidence that God comes from Lancashire is slim, however he's definitely not from Yorkshire)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:26 am

Probably no need for GIFTED commander but no PLODDERS will help. A good quality Foot unit on both sides will do no harm. I think you should include a gun per side as artillery can be disruptive and help illustrate what it is used for in these games.. ie causing deployment and morale problems to the enemy and not necessarily causing too many casualties..

good luck!!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
dashing blade
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by dashing blade » Mon May 02, 2011 6:09 am

Gentlemen, thanks for your help.
Game was a success and both lads want another bout soon. Even drew in a few spectators from the bar! The game was a draw ,even after both sides insisted they carry on to a conclusion.
So with a couple more intrested,do i do another game along the same lines? Maybe ! :D
P.S. Both wanted a copy of the rules to study after the game , so i'm without my set for now, and it maybe the beer talking but a grand game could be on the cards later in the year. :idea:

Cheers .