CAN NOW BE PRE ORDERED

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
quindia
General
General

Re: CAN NOW BE PRE ORDERED

Post by quindia » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:25 pm

On the subject of WTF, here is Caliver's listing for R2E...

REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE: Napoleonic wargames rules: Hilton, B Latest rules from THE LEAGUE. paperback. You don't get many pages for your money but it's full colour and a delight to read... £27.99

Again, I don't understand. Why go to heroic lengths to get copies of the book and insert "you don't get many pages for your money" in the description?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:58 am

Fairly simple answer for those mildly interested in this little side show.
He wanted the book on his terms at his price. I said no. He couldn't understand why I would not want to drop my pants as clearly I would not be able to feed my children without him. I starved and had extra lashings of cake and ginger beer. The mighty Caliver must possess all that is published in the hobby at any cost. I won't play ball. Output: pantomime style shenanigans with men in false beards and raincoats sneaking around UK shows buying up stock from unsuspecting traders(and there aren't many without their radar on now) with implausible stories about stock accruals for a new wargames shop opening in the Vatican City or Kazahkstan's smallest village. The patsies get their reward and vast quantities of Clarence's and my own future are sucked into the vortex choking the very life out of our existence as poor scriveners.
Not all successful ventures in this hobby require the patronage of some Svengali like figure in the shadows. Common sense, business experience and a good product (as always) usually manage on their own.
Come to think of it maybe we have never actually sold a single book and all the addresses that we've posted to are drop boxes for one person. Then that person would have EVERYTHING we ever did! :shock: :mrgreen:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:07 am

barr7430 wrote:....Come to think of it maybe we have never actually sold a single book and all the addresses that we've posted to are drop boxes for one person. Then that person would have EVERYTHING we ever did! :shock: :mrgreen:
CRAP :shock: I have been detected :!: Have to go under cover :lol:

Has it been my last order for 3 books at once or what went wrong :shock: :lol:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:26 am

The Meister Spy lives in Austria! Well, Vienna was the spying capital of Europe for about 40 years so no surprises there :lol:

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:34 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:05 pm

A wee review by yours truly of BtLB II on BoardGame Geek:

LINK

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Post by PaulMc » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:05 pm

A fine review Jim and just as entertaining as I've come to expect when reading anything written by you. You just couldn't resist posting up a photo of those dogs though, eh? I look forward to more mad vignettes! :D
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:00 am

Ha! You are a very bad man Jim! Your 'doggie style' command vignette made me laugh out loud!
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:49 pm

Postal Strike Over.

Ordered :!:
Captain of Dragoons
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:46 pm

BLB2 arrived today, looks great, very pleased.

Now Barry and Clarence, about those Sups........... :lol:

Great job gentlemen :!:

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:18 am

thank you Edward..

And about those supps....

We have taken some small steps in that direction. We are hoping the first will be a Jacobite Wars supplement...

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:51 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:59 pm

Well Ray you are probably going to fall out with me as I have recently completed an article for WI in which I may be (unjustly) accused of being a Marlborough hater! :shock:
I just want to say BEFORE the brickbats begin to blot out the sun, for the record, that I do NOT hate Marlborough, I just think there is a little bit of a cult around him that has hijacked the WSS. For it to be called the Marlburian Period is, in my opinion more than a bit rich. Blenheim was a great victory but the other three were nowhere near as decisive and Malplaquet was such a pyrrhic win as to be less than useless. His notices(or lack of thereafter) proving that.
The army was never more than a third British either. It is not surprising but a little disappointing that Eugene and others get next to no press in anglo centric writings. He is rather written 'around' than written about... the gay Italian bloke...
I think Marlborough was in life a bit of an opportunist, in military terms probably as good as anyone could have been in the era but not in any way deserving of the hugely glowing legacy cultivated in the English speaking world since. I have always clung on to the theory that he was probably a Jacobite at heart but his ambition suppressed it for a large proportion of his life.

If that makes me a Marlborough hater, then guilty as charged M'Lud. If it seperates me from the unquestioning acolytes of Corporal John I'll settle for that :wink:
I have read about him extensively even during his 'wannabe' period 1680 - 1697. I have even paid to hear Richard Holmes speak about him in London last year before his untimely death so I ground my opinions in as near factual evidence as I could get my hands on.

We will of course address the WSS, have no fear! :D although the byline will be

Le Comte D'iltone and Clarence Marquis de Chesapeake! :lol:

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Ooohhh!!!!
I can already see effigies getting dipped in oil as I write this, I'll need to give you some other books to read and then you might change your opinion. You will gather that I am of the other persuasion and think he was the best thing since sliced bread but each to their own.
Cheers
Dave
Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:22 pm

Certainly, the War of the SPANISH Sucession has become the War of Marlborough. I would like to see the WSS supplement, of course, but with a lot of information and games about the war in Spain :D
Almansa 1707, by example, is a very interesting battle fought between two very complex armies (without "Mambrú"!!!).

Cheers,

Juan