BLB in Ireland 1689-1691

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: BLB in Ireland 1689-1691

Post by obriendavid » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks Ray, I did know about that site it has some interesting information on it.
Cheers
Dave
Oireas

Post by Oireas » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:45 pm

HI Guys new to forum but I noticed a number issues on the questions of Jacobite uniforms. Here is what I know:
French clothe was White (grismiel) e.g Lrd Antrims used this as their coat colour but were cuffed red, red trousers, Waistcoat and sock (nickname 'Red Shanks') Clares (O'Brians) Red faced Yellow, Mountcashels (McCarthy) Red faced forest Green with taped button -. Louths Rgt, White faced tawny, Gordon O'Neill Red faced red, Bellews Red faced tawny. French cloth is white but turned grey over time due to environmental conditions such as dirt, sweat, powder and smoke. Hugenot Rgt seem from my sources to be dressed grey faced grey with some cuff colours such as yellow, purple etc. I also notice that the crowns and Jacobite harp are incorect in many of the flags used for the wargaming, the Maid of Ireland emblem is not a Jacobite cypher it is something that comes in post William III. All troops in Jacobite army are armed and equipped French style post siege of Derry, prior to this it is English. Armed with Matchlocks and equipped with Bandoliers throughout. in 1698 there is an image of a corporal in Mountcashels in France armed with a Matchlock and French Cartridge bag(similar to WSS style) but it would seem Matchlocks are standard right up until 1702 in the Irish brigade. Anyway thats my two pence worth I hope it is of assistance to you guys. Forgot to mention the source for the Yellow in O Briens is from an archaic source where the author did not want to admit Irish wore red coats also his main source is a misintepretation of an original manuscript. 'O'Briens clothes were faced yellow but it does list the Regiments with Red Coats and they are there in that list! Also Antrims are said to be in White and Blue again this numpty does not read the sources correctly and produced these in the 1940 cigarette cards also the irish Sword magazine and his ancestors although proven to be incorrect refuse to accept it as being wrong. For example he says the Danish life Guard wore an orange uniform!!!! yet when research was done it is actually Straw coloured with Orange /Tawny facings and clothing. So guys be careful the best sources are Robert Hall and Sean O Brogain for Irish flags and uniforms. Regards Tomás.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:50 am

Thanks, Tomas (forgive the lack of the accent - I can never find those on the keyboard)!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:55 am

Oireas wrote: Forgot to mention the source for the Yellow in O Briens is from an archaic source where the author did not want to admit Irish wore red coats also his main source is a misintepretation of an original manuscript. 'O'Briens clothes were faced yellow but it does list the Regiments with Red Coats and they are there in that list! Tomás.
I would be interested to know the source for O'Brien's in red coats as they weren't part of the Irish Army prior to the conflict. I know they wore red coats when they became part of the French army and always assumed that they were issued those from the French who seemed to want their forgein units to be distinctive. The Swiss were also clothed in red and the German units in Blue.
Cheers
Dave
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:16 pm

any news of when the blb ireland 1689-1991 will be out.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:30 pm

I'm pretty sure the pike was discarded by 1991 :lol:

Edward
Captain of Dragoons
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:57 am

No timeline on the Ireland book yet - many of the scenarios have been written, but no layout or artwork has been done yet... I haven't seen the manuscript yet, but I think there are probably twenty scenarios. Each will include the context of scenario, a map of the battlefield, orders of battle (and suggestions for adapting the to your collection), and special rules (if any). There will also be an overview on the theater, uniform guides, and anything else we can come up with!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:58 pm

Caught between the proverbial two stools (actually about 5 stools at the moment)
We have 2 very definite books on the stocks, 3 well formed ideas in discussion and along came Warfare Miniatures and buggered everything up. That spawned the flags and them more sculpts and it all got out of control.

We are winning the war but it is rather like 8th Army in North Africa... taking a long time and small steps against fierce resistance!

Stick with us... Clarence and I always get there in the end (although this time we are calling on some help from a few friends) :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:57 am

Hello Barry

Although the thread is BLB2 in Ireland have you considered including Monmouth's Rebellion, The Glorious Revolution and Scotland or do you think they should be covered as a different Sup(s)?

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:45 am

I think the plan is to cover all of 1689-91, which will include some of the battles in Scotland and even some 'what if' battles in England (what if James II's army didn't completely collapse in 1689). I don't think we're going back as far as the Monmouth Rebellion (but I could be wrong). I want to include a detailed guide to the armies and make this a source book for the period in addition to the scenarios.

There will DEFINITELY be further scenario books (and if anyone out there wants to write a scenario book for their favorite theater using BLB, contact Barry or me via PM)...