Well, just under a year since ordering the first figures we played our first game the other night - admittedly with old 6mm rather than the shiny (very) new models from last Xmas, but Polemos bases had same frontages etc so worked quite well. We did however have a few issues we thought might be best solved via the all knowing hive-mind after our attempts to read and interpret as best we could at the time. Apologies if these have come up before, I have tried to search first. We did really enjoy the game (despite the following probably making us look very confused!)
The main issue came from one single cvalry engagement early on that as is traditional drew on numerous rules at once...
- All or nothing charge; when it says that all models are elligible to fight, how is that worked out? From the AoNC example a 3 squadron regiment fights with 3 stands of 6. So would you get 1D6 for each stand, then the +6 for charging blade just once for a total of 9d6 because you're only allowed a single principal unit? That's what we went with, although the benefits seemed limited, as with a 2 squadron regiment I only gained one die, whereas if I'd reinforced in bound 2 would have gained +2, admittedly a bound later.
-This charge was against a regiment also lined up one squadron behind the other, so this raised the question of whether the defenders (who failed to countercharge due to 2d6 distance roll) were already reinforced or if they had to wait until the first bound had been fought?
- This led to the front squadron of defenders being routed. With their brigaded mates touching the rear of their base and attackers the front should the routers have squeezed out the side of the sandwich to rout or burst through their friends to the rear?
- The battle plan. It's mentioned and we assumed it was designed to make you move to that and not reactively, however it's never mentioned again, so we weren't wholly sure if/how it needed to be utilised in a 1v1 game.
- 'Units' we decided a horse squadron probably constituted a 'unit' as mentioned in order % and morale, but we couldn't actually find anywhere that said so. Also I had thought a squadron of horse, 6 miniatures on 2 bases, would be 2 'stands' but then the All or Nothing charge refers to 6 model stands which confused me somewhat.
- Horse and dragoons who stand to take a charge, is their any option for them to give fire at the chargers? We couldn't see one, but assumed bullet horse and dragoons would have fired in some capacity similar to foot.
- From what we read horse seeing their mates hacked down to a man in front of them don't need to test morale, only if it's nearby foot, is that right? Also for the commander 'in LOS' +1 to apply we assumed unti had 360 degree LoS and this just applied to other units and terrain blocking view, rather than him having to be ahead of them in arc.
- Charges and alignment. The example of wheeling to charge in the book has the horse missing the enemy if they didn't wheel, so we weren't sure what happened wrt to contacting enemy at an angle. Is it possible and should the units then mutually conform, or is there something about only tidily charging flat edges together?
Apologies for the length of ramble, all help greatly appreciated before we try it again this coming Monday