BLB2 rules interpretation

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
janbruinen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

BLB2 rules interpretation

Post by janbruinen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:12 am

Yesterday evening this rules interpretation problem arose:
situation in 1690:
2 Dutch "bullet horse" squadrons in "all or nothin charge (aonc)" charged a single French "blade horse" squadron; the French countercharged. It was the first time any of our horse did the "aonc".
Combat was a tie, no threading allowed with aonc so a second bound of combat occured.
questions:
- how does the second squadron of Dutch horse count: still in aonc (we thought not) but what then, are they reinforcing combat (so +2 to the fist-principal squadron)?
- after fighting a bound the units are disordered but is counting disordering for the second bound after the adding of the +2 of reinforcing melee.
in combat dice for the dutch principal unit:
one stand of combat (1), reinforcing (+2), disordered divided by two = 1,5 (question: rounding down =1 or rounding up = 2 ?). Is this correct?

any help please.
greetings
Jan
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: BLB2 rules interpretation

Post by flick40 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:59 am

It's a gentlemans game so when the rules aren't clear a friendly agreement can be made. Here is a case where it isnt very clear. However, I personally feel there should be an advantage to the all or nothing charging side. That said even though the 2nd sqdn didn't actually reinforce the charge it is there to give support. So I would play it as below.

Since both sides are disordered the French roll 1d6 (one stand) -1/2 disordered = .5 rounded up to 1d6. You have 3d6 (one stand, +2 reinforced) -1/2 disordered = 1.5 rounded up is 2d6.

Remember always add all your positives prior to doing the negatives.

If you manage to tie 3 bounds both of you are checking morale for the principle units loosing 50% casualties in a melee.

Joe
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:43 am

yes Joe, a fair (as always) assessment. Sorry for late arrival into this. time zones and all that. Jan, always best to work from the definition of AONC and trace the logic from there whilst trying to nsure ALL conditions are met. Always impossible to meet every eventuality in playtest because gamer's battle plans are so creative!

Golden rule: the AONC is not meant to be standard cavalry operating practice it was written as the Poker player's option - sometimes you hit the jackpot, sometimes you lose it all!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
janbruinen
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by janbruinen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:21 am

Joe,
thanks. In fact we did as you suggested. So Barry, indeed we were logical (a one time experience ?).

Of course when a French squadron is reinforcing the melee, this is counted the same I suppose as the first, principal squadron is also disordered. In points it will be +1 (1 stand) +2 (reinforced) *1/2 (disordered) = 1.5 (=2) .

greetings and thanks
Jan
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:45 pm

I dare say that with Warfare Miniature's release of Jacobite Cavalry there will be a lot of AONCs going on :lol:

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:00 pm

We'll see who is first to paint them as something else! :twisted:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:04 pm

I hate to say this but I have mine down to be Croat horse who have come form Swedish service for my Imagination the Electorate of Marrienburg as I figured one bunch of wild horsemen would serve well as another.

I however think Barry will forgive me as I need about 60 figures even if my bank manager won't

I never take me coat off :)

:evil: Ginger