Retreat

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Retreat

Post by andy thompson » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:35 am

We had a couple of occassions at the Derby game at the weekend where both sides, engaged in a hot exchange of musketry, were praying to fail their upcoming morale check... but just a wee bit :? You're effectively dying to get that single result out of 6, whatever the modifiers, that lets the front Battalion retreat and unmask a 2nd fresh Battalion. If they die in place, it's a morale bomb. If they rout, it's a morale bomb. If they retreat, it's all good.

Would you ever consider allowing a retreat order? Or even allowing the choice of morale results betwen Shaken and Retreat?

I understand that the drill of the day wouldn't allow a controlled retreat in the manner we understand, but there comes a time when a Battalion has done it's job and leaving it in place is just madness.

Andy
BP
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Retreat

Post by BP » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:16 pm

Its like Deja vu in here :)

See the shot commando thread too. All topics in the car on the surprisngly easy drive back from Derby last night.

Bill.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:18 pm

BP wrote:Its like Deja vu in here :)....Bill.
El Presidente,

Yeah, you are right. I remember that I have read this before, not that I remember by whom, where or when but I think there was something like this and with Passage of Lines and such stuff in it.

Andy,
not even in the SYW they where familiar with the behavior of Retreating when they had done their 'job' to making place for the 2nd Line. They were quite shot to pieces before doing something else.

In my opinion it is simply a matter of positioning of the troops in the right formation. Nobody says that the placement of the Troops done by the Umpires are their final and/or correct Position.

Only my opinion so no offense
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
andy thompson
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by andy thompson » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:41 am

Naturally, no offense taken Your Majesty :)

Colin and I - or should I say McMahon and Le Caillemotte - both knew that the first person to "fail" their morale check to a Retreat result was going to win that flank. "Passing" to a Shaken result was a worse outcome for both of us than "failing" to a Retreat result.

So, either there aren't enough penalties for seeing friends Retreat, or, Retreat should be a voluntary option. Now, how you work that into the period, I leave as an exercise for the student... :wink:

Andy
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:57 am

We actually deploy our units incorrectly for the period. Units were deployed in a chequerboard style formation with gaps left on either side specifically for this purpose. If you were under too much pressure, retreat to line 2. If you are winning and need to pressure the enemy advance the second line.
In a wargame though, get em all in there.!!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 am

j1mwallace wrote:..In a wargame though, get em all in there.!!
Yeah, I witnessed that behavior in the center very closely :D :wink:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:41 pm

j1mwallace wrote:We actually deploy our units incorrectly for the period. Units were deployed in a chequerboard style formation with gaps left on either side specifically for this purpose. If you were under too much pressure, retreat to line 2. If you are winning and need to pressure the enemy advance the second line.
In a wargame though, get em all in there.!!
To be fair the rules penalise you for having units any sort of distance from their fellow brigade members. You would need 2 units in rear support to get the supported bonus, if the units to your flank are further than a battalion frontage away.