Removal of 'spent' battalions

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Matt 1805
Private
Private

Removal of 'spent' battalions

Post by Matt 1805 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Something that has occurred to me is the resiliance of our model battalions beyond their historical counterparts. I had a number of units still functioning with 2-4 figures left. This represents 80% losses; a huge amount. Historically a unit would be broken much sooner than this.

I think it would make sense to simply remove them once they get to a single base - for infantry. that still represents 66% losses, which is a lot, but workable in game terms. Anyone else got a view on this?

Matt
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: Removal of 'spent' battalions

Post by flick40 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:01 pm

In all my games it's rare a unit gets to that point in 'casualties'. Most have already broken or retired as a result of a morale check. At the very least most have gone shaken. After that rout is not too far behind baring the CC or Brig being right there 'steady boys'.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Always useful to remember that the rules interpretation of casualties is not that ALL losses are kills/wounded. It is a reflection of physical losses plus depletion in fighting effectiveness via wear and tear. That is why their presence on the field is quite important, it stops the substitution of fresh and powerful battalions into the line too readily.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:34 am

Matt 1805 wrote:Something that has occurred to me is the resiliance of our model battalions beyond their historical counterparts. I had a number of units still functioning with 2-4 figures left. This represents 80% losses; a huge amount. Historically a unit would be broken much sooner than this. Matt
I don't know how your troops managed to hang about with such casualties, they obviously never had to take any tests otherwise they would have legged it. You are also better to get them out of the way because they can't even support other troops and if they do rout they will cause all your other troops to test for routing friends.
Cheers
Dave
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Youd be surprised. A guard or elite unit is very difficult to get rid of. My Dutch guard were down to 3 figures but were there at the end. A unit of 2!!! Highlanders had no bother charging. You are right though insofar as a raw or drilled unit has a lot less chance.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:48 pm

How about 'The War Game / Charles Grant's' rule: 50% losses and the unit leaves the table, as a House Rule.
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Bsck to my original point chaps... not all casualties are casualties, it's about fighting effectiveness. I don;t think a house rule is necessary. The rules work fine the way they are and you can judge the mechanism (any mechanism) on one or two outings... it must be a aggregated picture over dozens of battles before you really get a feel for anything.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford