representing pikemen

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

representing pikemen

Post by markdo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:11 pm

Barry,
Are there any plans to change how pikemen are represented in regiments when the Ireland supplement comes out? At the moment I use 3 pikeman figures on the same base size as a 6 figure block of 35x30mm (15mm figures).
It would take less space (and I have them to hand anyway) to use a 30x15mm base.
However I'm wondering if you are planning any overhaul to how they are represented given how many Irish regiments were high in pikes.

Mark
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: representing pikemen

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 pm

Mark,

we used a system for the big weekender game which categorized units as follows:

All Musket - as per BLB
Pike & Shot - normal ratios of representation as per BLB
2:1 muskets to pike
1:1 muskets to pike
1:2 muskets to pike
All pike

The last 4 designations are of course new. The rules are modifiec to reflect casualty distribution and shooting/comabt capability. That will be included in the Ireland supplement. As far as representation is concerned the rules will not be prescriptive as the designation (above) is noted on the Roster and is simply referred to during shooting/combat. From an aesthetics perspective, I used 3 stand units with central stand pikes (ie no rear pike stand) for 2:1, 1:1 and 1:2. For All pike I used 3 stand units will all pikes! examples of the latter in the Warfare Gallery.

Hope this clarifies.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks for the reply Barry,
I need to think about this one. I started with my army of Monmouth and had all my bases as a mixture of musket, pike and scythe/farm weapons. That seemed aesthetically right to me.

I can see how useful it is though, to have straight bases of pike or musket, though, for representing different ratios.

In gaming terms, will there be new modifiers for shooting or for melee for these units eg with 2:1 pike:musket?

Mark
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:26 am

I wouldn't rebase if I were you. If the mix looks good stick with it. Manage the firing and casualty distribution on paper or with markers (different colours for different weapon types). Should be easy to work out a system. My original collection 20 years had pike and shot mixed on the 2 central bases, we worked through that at the time although the inclusion of 2 or 3 pikemen randomly distributed in a unit of 16 models was one of the main reasons I came up with the seperate pike stand as I didn't think it looked right.

On the second subject, yes there ARE different combat factors, that is part of the Ireland supplement book content.

Henry Ford
turrabear
Major General
Major General

Post by turrabear » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:05 am

any news on the ireland supplement yet.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:21 am

Skirmish rules have jumped the queue a bit Mark but the important thing about the Ireland supplement is we know exactly what is going it it, the figures are painted and may of the photographs done so it will be the next off the skids after this queue jumper is sorted!

Henry Ford