First game and many questions

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Derbo
Private
Private

First game and many questions

Post by Derbo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:03 pm

We played oure first game today and had a lot of fun. But there were some points on which we need clarification and advice.
I searched the forum for a while and have read the book countless times but can't find the answers :oops:

1. A charging cavalry unit receives defensive fire from a unit of foot. On what point does the charger halt/retreat when failing to charge home? (is he moved into contact an halts/retreats from there?)

2. Will retreating/routing units wheel to avoid running through friends?

3. You have multiple units in melee against one opponent. Are the casualties taken by the principal unit only? Do the supporting units give their usual dice in support, or are they giving the +2/+4 for reinforcing units?

4. Can I move a regiment of horse in base contact with one single order or do I have to issue orders for every squadron.

5. If a unit retreats after a close combat and fails its check during the morale phase, does it move again in the next compulsory movement step?

6. Do reinforcing units have to contact the enemy or do the just need to contact yor own fighting troops? (how else could you reinforce when you don't see the enemy?)

7. During the morale-check-phase of the turn do you have to check for every reason to check? (if you have received casualties from artillery, commander was killed in 12" and you saw a friendly unit wiped out, you have to make three checks?)

8. Units can see 360° or only to the front?

I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say. English is not my first language...
Any help is much appreciated!

All the best,
Chris
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: First game and many questions

Post by flick40 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 am

Barry may over ride but here are my answers.

1. A charging cavalry unit receives defensive fire from a unit of foot. On what point does the charger halt/retreat when failing to charge home? (is he moved into contact an halts/retreats from there?)

Chargers are moved to contact if defenders pass. Fire on chargers is done in the musketry step and morale results handled from there.

2. Will retreating/routing units wheel to avoid running through friends?

No, wheeling is an action a formed unit would make. P.54 They will try to make for gaps between units. The gap must be wide enough to accommodate a 'non formed body'. We interpret that as a single stand base width. They are no longer considered in a formation but a mass trying to get away.

3. You have multiple units in melee against one opponent. Are the casualties taken by the principal unit only? Do the supporting units give their usual dice in support, or are they giving the +2/+4 for reinforcing units?

Divided among all units involved. P.45 Under Determining Who Fights. Supporting units that join an ongoing melee count +2 for the first unit and +4 if two or more joined.

4. Can I move a regiment of horse in base contact with one single order or do I have to issue orders for every squadron.

An order for each squadron

5. If a unit retreats after a close combat and fails its check during the morale phase, does it move again in the next compulsory movement step?

Yes, routing units don't stop to smell the roses

6. Do reinforcing units have to contact the enemy or do the just need to contact yor own fighting troops? (how else could you reinforce when you don't see the enemy?)

If they are in formation to charge and pass morale to charge they are simply moved into contact, if behind the principle unit they contact the principle unit.

7. During the morale-check-phase of the turn do you have to check for every reason to check? (if you have received casualties from artillery, commander was killed in 12" and you saw a friendly unit wiped out, you have to make three checks?)

No just one check, but certain situations trigger an immediate morale check, charges etc.

8. Units can see 360° or only to the front?

They can see 360 but are limited on reacting due to movement restrictions

Joe
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:23 am

No Comments! Joe won Millionaire 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Derbo
Private
Private

Post by Derbo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:51 pm

Thank you very much!

Here are some more...

1. The green cavalry wants to charge the blue infantry. It has to charge the front of the infantry because most of its own front are not behind the front of the infantry.
Where do I place the cavalry afer a succesfull charge?
My interpretation is, that you just place it in front of the infantry.

2. When you place an order to rally do you ceck after revealing the order or do you check during the morale step?
(My interpretation is, that you check after revealing the order. If you are retreating you have a second chance (compulsory check for retreating units) during the morale phase.)

3. If you check after revealing the order and fail, you move in the next compulsory movement phase?

4. In close combat you gain one d6 for a stand of 6 foot/2 stands of 3 horse, called combat stands.
On page 46 it says, that a single stand with less than 50% models remaining starts the calculation with 0 dice. Do you mean a single stand/base or a singe combat stand (makes only a difference for cavalry)?

5. When you check morale during a melee and you retreat/rout, do you move immediately or during the next compulsory move phase?

Sorry for bothering you guys, but that should really be all (hopefully :oops: )
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:56 pm

1. The green cavalry wants to charge the blue infantry. It has to charge the front of the infantry because most of its own front are not behind the front of the infantry.
Where do I place the cavalry afer a succesfull charge?
My interpretation is, that you just place it in front of the infantry.

BLB does not make use of 'squaring up on contact'. You move straight ahead for the final charge home and stop once contact is made. It's up to you to remember if it's frontal or a flank when calculating close combat or defensive fire.

2. When you place an order to rally do you check after revealing the order or do you check during the morale step?
(My interpretation is, that you check after revealing the order. If you are retreating you have a second chance (compulsory check for retreating units) during the morale phase.)

You check during the morale check step. A rallying unit is spending the entire turn attempting to rally.

3. If you check after revealing the order and fail, you move in the next compulsory movement phase?

After checking in the morale step the turn ends and the first step of the next turn is compulsory moves. If they failed this is where they move.

4. In close combat you gain one d6 for a stand of 6 foot/2 stands of 3 horse, called combat stands.
On page 46 it says, that a single stand with less than 50% models remaining starts the calculation with 0 dice. Do you mean a single stand/base or a singe combat stand (makes only a difference for cavalry)?

Yes, but if the result at the end of all calculations is still 0 you will always roll 1d6

5. When you check morale during a melee and you retreat/rout, do you move immediately or during the next compulsory move phase?

During the next compulsory move step at the beginning of the next turn. This is also when your pursuers move if they fail to rein in pursuit in the previous morale step. The whole morale issue seems confusing at first but it flows well once you are used to it.

Joe
Derbo
Private
Private

Post by Derbo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 am

Again, thank you very much Joe! Much appreciated!
When you place an order to rally do you check after revealing the order or do you check during the morale step?

You check during the morale check step. A rallying unit is spending the entire turn attempting to rally.
It's all clear for routing units.
But why should I spend a precious order to rally a retreating unit, if I have to make a compulsory check for retreating units during the morale phase (and thus a chance to get them to shaken or carry on for free)?

The concept of the compulsory check for retreating units is not clear to me an I'm beginning to lose faith in my brain :cry:
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:07 am

The reason for the compulsory check on a retreating unit is that it is at a critical point in its battlefield life. If it tips to ROUT the rout will cause every unit within range to check. If those checks go badly your entire position could collapse. That is why they check compulsorily.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Derbo
Private
Private

Post by Derbo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Thank you. Much clearer now.

But why should I use an order to rally retreaters if they will check nontheless?
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Retreaters will retreat for one turn and are then disordered. They will remain so until you spend an order to rally them.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:13 pm

Retreaters will retreat for one turn and are then disordered. They will remain so until you spend an order to rally them.
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:17 pm

You need a Rally Order marker to rally Routers, who will continue to move away from the battle every turn. You do not 'have' to rally them but they will not without one. Retreat units are tested each turn in the Morale Step, (no order required) they may calm down and return to battle or they may rout. They are, as Barry said, teetering on the brink of disaster. Rallying routers is only one of the problems facing you as the commander when issuing your orders.

Joe
Derbo
Private
Private

Post by Derbo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks again!
We had our second game last night and most things went smooth and fine :D