Essex 15mm codes useful for the NYW

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Essex 15mm codes useful for the NYW

Post by EvilGinger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:08 pm

I have been fiddling about solo playing BLB1 using empty Flames of war medium bases three to a Battalion with a small base behind for pikes & two to a cavalry squadron, largely to teach me the rules & it occurred to me that these would make useful bases for actual 15mm figures but when I had a look at the new Essex miniatures site I became a little confused as to which of the codes form the 15mm European Armies 1660-1745 would best fit.

I am looking to build a couple of forces a couple of brigades strong. Though given the latent wargamers megalomania I doubt I will stop there

:evil: Ginger
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Essex 15mm codes useful for the NYW

Post by Dilly » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:25 pm

Hi Ginger, I think most of the Essex range are now available with pics, so you could just use any that haven't got tricorns, of course there is always the choice between matchlocks and flintlocks but at 15mm the only difference you can tell is the wearing of apostles, also you may want to look at the Lurkio range, they're packed for FOG but I don't beleive there would be much wastage of lead.
Hope this helps
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Thank you I did have a look at Essex's site just before I posted & found
not all of them had yet. I just checked & most of those I saw where defiantly in tricornes rather than hats with the brim down. I did see the medium Pike men which looked the part but I had already seen those in in Spirit & that sort of gave me the idea to use 15mm Essex in the first place.

blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by blindjack » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Hello Ginger,
If it's the NYW period you looking at then I found the following ESSEX codes useful:

Infantry
BRO69, 70, 71, 72 that's for standard brim hat, no apostles musketeers BRO72 is the command. BRO73 is laced so good for French guard. (I should say that I've only done the French as my mate is doing the allies).
BRO79 or BRO25 for Pikemen (the latter has a breast plate).

Cavalry (brim hats)
BRO92, 92a, 93, 93a, 94, 94a all do the normal 'Horse' though I prefer the sword holding BRO94.
BRO95 would be your command.

Dragoons
I'm afraid I'm really only expert on the French, which would be codes BRO37 and 38 (mounted - the latter being command). Whilst dismounted are BRO39 and 40 - which I mix.

Artillerymen
BRO81a is the one, but I like the bloke looking through a telescope in BRO29 (even if it is the later stuff with tricorns).

Hope this helps, and sorry if it's 'Franco-focused.

Richard
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:06 am

Thank you for that very useful I will sort out a small order & see how I go & there is nothing wrong with being Franco centric as one of the armies I intend to do will be French after all they had no shortage of opponents.

I also had a look at the Lurkio range, & may get some to vary the posing a bit but would have preferred to have got them in packs like the Essex rather than the FOGR packs.

blindjack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by blindjack » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:49 am

I don't know if you'll find it useful, but my friend Ray has painted his allies using 15mm ESSEX figures and he has a blog where he likes to show them off. The link is below.

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/

Good luck with the venture.

Richard
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Ray's stuff is rather nice & its on my blog list just wasn't sure which codes they might have been.

yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 am

Just like Richard said, my infantry are either BRO69 or BRO71, The command are either BRO 72,73 OR 74, while the pikes are a mix of BRO 25 & 28. ANd the same goes for the Horse, although I use BRO93 for English/Allied Dragoons.
Hope this helps!!
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/