Miquelets, or Mountain Fusiliers in BLB?

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
soldadets

Miquelets, or Mountain Fusiliers in BLB?

Post by soldadets » Sun May 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi all,

My name is Lluís and am currently running a what-if campaign focused on the latest stage of War of the Spanish Succession, 1713-1714. This an ill-known period wherein, while the main powers were maneouvring around negotiation tables between Utrecht and Rastatt, an extremely furious, bloody campaign took place for the subjugation of Catalonia, still stubbornly supporting Archduke Charles Habsburg.

Such campaign, and the what-if Nation itself, are hosted under name of The Defiant Principality in a blog whose URL is http://what-if-catalonia.blogspot.com/. This is in turn affiliated to the Emperor vs Elector 18th Century Imagi-nations community (http://emperor-elector.blogspot.com/) --such has allowed us a lot of funny, exciting inter-actions, even some what-if diplomacy.

While still essaying several differents rulesets for skirmish-sized fightings, we're currently using BLB v.1 for all major engagements, with a prospect to evolve toward BLB v.2 pretty soon. Oh, we always play with 15mm miniatures --Dixon, Minifigs, Roudway, Essex... anything at hand in that size, in fact.

Well, I had to introduce myself first... Apologies for such an extensive introduction :oops:

The matter is that campaigning WSS in the Peninsula can hardly be sustained without having into account the crucial role of Miquelets, or Mountain Fusilier Infantry --especially if playing the Austro-Catalan side, that used extensively such kind of troops to the discomfort of Philip d'Anjou's generals.

We're experiencing a lot of trouble at representing Miquelets properly enough in accordance to BLB (or any other Lace Wars ruleset, in fact). It would be inaccurate classifying them as tribals, because most of WSS Miquelets were regular troops, dressed and armed according to ordnances prescriptions.

Although mainly used for skirmishing, ambushing and rear or rough terrain actions, they had been trained for line fighting too --so that usually half their companies were armed with regular musket and bayonet, while the other half had escopetes (=a smaller calibre, local made rifle, appreciated among them for sharpshooting). And in fact it wasn't that rare for them to adopt the role of line infantry in small countryside engagements, and to charge enemy foot. Contrarily, it seems that they could hardly stand face to enemy horse, rather preferring to disperse and evade.

What advice would you give us at this respect?
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Miquelets, or Mountain Fusiliers in BLB?

Post by EvilGinger » Sun May 19, 2013 4:26 pm

Perhaps count them as commanded shot, not sure how this works as its a development of the BLB rules by Barry since publication. I am however sure some on else on here knows and will explain the details.

:evil: Ginger
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon May 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Rough Draft...
  • - Groups of commanded shot from strength 3 - 9 can operate on single bases or multiple bases... Models may be based as singles...
    - They do not get the 'All musket' bonus
    - They do not get first volley bonus
    - They fire as however many stands exist within their number ie 3 will fire as 1 stand 7-9 as two stands. This means small units although very brittle will still potentially have some impact for a short swhile or if hidden. Larger units could be quite powerful for a little while but may drop to 1 stand quite quickly.
    - They are close order and not skirmishers
    - Not yet decided on pluses or minuses in close combat
    - They could charge other foot perhaps who are Shaken - not finalized.
    - Movement as per other infantry
    - Formation - loose lineof some sort
They have been used in several weekender games... Barry or Dave might have more...
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Welcome to the forum Luis and I look forward to reading more about your battles for Catalonia, I'm always interested when someone can add something new to an area that is quite neglected in the WSS. I would have called it the 'Marlburian Wars' but Barry takes me to task for that :lol:

You will find a very interesting bunch of guys on the forum who are happy to pass on their wisdom and knowledge.

I would agree with Clarence that the latest rules for commanded shot would probably fit in with what you are looking for in relation to your skirmishers.
Cheers
Dave
soldadets

Post by soldadets » Mon May 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks for both your warm welcome and extensive infos.

The commanded shot option you've explained comes certainly to fill some of the gaps we weren't able to solve by ourselves.

This is how we had imagined Miquelets units according to BLB v1:

- At the start we gave to them same strength than Foot, that is 18 figures in 3 BLB bases (In our particular case, 6 PoW-style "half-bases"). But now we were discussing whether to make them smaller --12 figures in 2 BLB bases.

- They would be able to adopt a regular, "tight" formation just as Line Infantry, or a looser, dispersed skirmishing line. Admittdely, we hadn't met a satisfactory way for representing this. Perhaps allowing individual bases to separe from each other?

- A "Form" order should be needed for changing from one formation to the other.

- When in regular, "tight" line, we believed them entitled for enjoying the first volley bonus --but by no means the all musket one. In exchange for adopting such formation, their troop quality would be temporarily downgraded, so as to reflect their lesser performance in close formation.

- When in skirmishing line, they wouldn't enjoy the above mentioned firing bonus. In exchange, their movement in rough terrain would be slightly bonified with regard to that of formed Foot. Basically, never getting disordered, moving with no penalty through woods, orchards and built-up areas, and a penalty of just -1D6 at crossing linear obstacles.

All this, with BLB v1.

As for the commanded shot options, I presume this is intended for being used with BLB v2. Where might we find such special rule?

Thanks and apologies for that many questions in a single thread :oops:
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Tue May 21, 2013 1:21 am

The rules for commanded shot are not in BLB2 as they where developed for the wargames weekends Barry runs after its publication. So the post in this thread by Clarence (quindia) is the rule as official as it gets there are not dissimilar ideas in the appendix on King Williams War on page 85 of BLB2 as rules for Canadians

:twisted: Ginger
soldadets

Post by soldadets » Wed May 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi,

Just picked BLB v2 from the shelf to ellucidate your suggestion about Canada war. After a first reading, I'm prone to believe that our Miquelets would fit pretty well in the concept of French regulars in Canada (if regulars themselves), or as Canadian militia (if irregulars).

That's precisely what we were seeking, better than the commanded shot concept.

Lots of thanks, it now seems compulsory changig to v2.

Thanks again :)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:26 pm

You may soon have further options with the release of DONNYBROOK which is one to one scale skirmishing for the period with FACTION lists which have a high degree of customization possible. If you want to let us know the rough makeup of a typical force we may even be able to include details in the rules as they have not yet gone to print! :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
chema1986
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by chema1986 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:55 am

Hello, and sorry for "resurrecting" the post, don't know if i should open a new thread...
I would like to know how Nine Years War "Miquelets" looked like ? I have seen pics of reenactors in Spain, but they are WSS Miquelets, and i don't know if the earlier Miquelets were less uniformed and looked more than a thirty years war militia or something like that...
May i use these figures in order to represent League of Augsburg war Miquelets in the rural Catalonia of 169- ?
http://www.frontrank.com/big_pictures.a ... =5183&pn=2

Thank you !
Cheers