BUAs

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

BUAs

Post by markdo » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Can a foot unit fire with muskets into a BUA instead of assaulting it?
Mark
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: BUAs

Post by flick40 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:57 am

dont have my rules handy but, i think those outside the zone of control can. those inside it are commited to assault. again im just making a wild guess, i'll get the rules later and edit as needed.

joe
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:55 pm

I can't see it one way or the other in the BUA section. Personally, it makes sense to me that a unit can fire and withdraw. Isn't that a job for dragoons- to zoom up, fire, leave again?

Mark
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:50 pm

OK Mark after reading both the shooting and fighting in BUA sections the answer is yes, and no. Part of your answer can be found on page 63. If you have units within the 5" ZOC they must either assault or withdraw. If assaulting they cannot shoot. Units outside of the ZOC may act as they see fit, i.e. shoot. This means you will never be able to shoot at close range. I would say the defenders would also count concealed and behind hard cover (-1 and -3) if you allow shooting. I personally don't think that would be an option/mindset to troops of the period.

I understand the idea of wanting to shoot the defenders out of their position vs the messy assault. It is a very WWII way of thinking vs late 17th century. (my opinion dont shoot me) The inaccuracy of period muskets, lack of shot and powder to waste on trying to dislodge the defenders and commander/officer pride would all add to the decision of getting in there and mixing it up. All that said I would almost be inclined to not allow shooting into a BUA at all.

We as players have experience with all periods, strategy and tactics on our minds when playing a game. The trick is to let the stuff go and play as the period dictates. They did lots of things wrong back then and some things right. Players should use their imagination and have fun with the good and bad. Playing beyond that scope is,.. gamey.

Joe
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:12 pm

words of wisdom from Joe as always. I concur as (almost) always! :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:02 am

OK, thanks both. I understand and don't want to be a-historical.

But- suppose the defenders fire on them, wouldn't they return fire?

Mark
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:12 pm

If you are within the 5" ZOC no you cant. Your men are mustering up into assault formations and getting ready to attack. By the rules those outside of the ZOC can return fire with modifiers.

A smart defender will have troops nearby so he can feed men into the BUA to replace any you have killed. Doing that will make any trivial shooting casualties you cause make shooting them out as timely as an assault itself.

Musketry is going to be ineffectual unless your game has no time limit. Artillery is the way to go and more historical.

Though it's not written in the rule I'm (almost :) ) inclined to believe Barrys intention was to not allow musketry into BUAs.

Joe
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks very much, I'm now clear on this. :-)
Mark