more BUAs

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

more BUAs

Post by markdo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:08 am

Malcolm was defending a BUA last night with 3 units, 2 drilled foot and 1 raw artillery.
I assaulted with 1 elite foot, 1 drilled foot and 1 drilled dragoon. Another foot regiment failed to assault.

As we understand it we treat all defenders as a single entity and the attackers are treated the same way. Is this right?

Malcolm had 3d6 for the first regt's 3 stands + 2d6 for c/c present and being risked + 1d6 for the artillery's 1 stand + 3d6 for the second foot regiment's 3 stands + 2d6 for the brigadier with it. He didn't risk either unit's colonel, strangely. So, that's 11 d6 to be rolled.

I had 3d6 for Kirke's 3 stands + 2d6 for the colonel, +3 d6 for Foot Guards 3 stands + 1d3 for them being elite, +2d6 for the 2 dragoon stands + 2d6 for their colonel, giving me 12d6 + the elite's "2" rolled on a d3.

We then rolled them all and totted up the differential, looking then at P47.

Sorry for being so detailed but I want to know if we were doing it right?

Mark
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: more BUAs

Post by obriendavid » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:02 pm

You seem to have forgotten to add the modifier for the style of building you had decided on, see additional modifiers for defenders bottom of page 61 then the result from page 47 should be checked against the winning losing chart on page 62. With the number of troops defending I take it you had decided that the BUA was a size 3?
Hope this helps?
Cheers
Dave
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:10 am

Thanks for the reply, Dave. The perimeter wasn't intact so I didn't count the modifier for the bua type.

But you ae saying that we broadly got it right, aren't you? That these modifiers are extra or fewer dice rather than modifiers to a die roll?

My next question is about the morale check. Does the loser check each unit separately applying only the relevant modifiers for each unit or do you add them all in together?

Thanks for your help, forum users.

Mark
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:52 pm

The perimeter wasn't intact so I didn't count the modifier for the bua type. [/i]
How was the perimeter not intact? that can only happen if the enemy have already penetrated by winning a round of combat. See bottom of page 63

But you ae saying that we broadly got it right, aren't you? That these modifiers are extra or fewer dice rather than modifiers to a die roll?[/i]The modifier gives the defender extra dice. An example would be 8 stands defending a style B BUA would receive an extra 4 dice.

My next question is about the morale check. Does the loser check each unit separately applying only the relevant modifiers for each unit or do you add them all in together?
The first thing you should do after a round of combat is check to see if any officers leading units have become casualties as that effects the rating of units before they take morale tests. Because the combat is classed as one big combat so is the morale test but the effects could be different depending of the quality of the troops involved and remember that you use the morale modifiers on page 62 for fighting in BUA's.

Cheers
Dave
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:54 pm

obriendavid wrote:The perimeter wasn't intact so I didn't count the modifier for the bua type. [/i]
How was the perimeter not intact? that can only happen if the enemy have already penetrated by winning a round of combat. See bottom of page 63
Yep- clearly misunderstood that. :oops:
But you ae saying that we broadly got it right, aren't you? That these modifiers are extra or fewer dice rather than modifiers to a die roll?[/i]The modifier gives the defender extra dice. An example would be 8 stands defending a style B BUA would receive an extra 4 dice.
Ok.
The first thing you should do after a round of combat is check to see if any officers leading units have become casualties as that effects the rating of units before they take morale tests. Because the combat is classed as one big combat so is the morale test but the effects could be different depending of the quality of the troops involved and remember that you use the morale modifiers on page 62 for fighting in BUA's.

We checked the officers ok.
Thanks, Dave. Bad news for my assault, I suspect, but good for our developinh understanding.
Mark

Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:12 pm

markdo wrote: Thanks, Dave. Bad news for my assault, I suspect, but good for our developinh understanding.
Mark
Mark, you have already discovered that assaults against BUA's are not a good idea unless you have overwhelming numbers.
The rules have been updated in ammendments for R2E and the Crimean set of rules which makes it even tougher for the attackers as my French found out to their cost in the explanatory game. Personally I tend to avoid BUA's as long as I can unless they are classed as a game objective.
Cheers
Dave