using pioneers v BUAs

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

using pioneers v BUAs

Post by markdo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:28 pm

I understand that pioneers are organised in 6s as per infantry bases with 1 per army.
Are they treated as part of a specific regiment, with that regiment having reduced musketry in a fire fight, or are they a separate unit in themselves and thus need activated like other units?

Mark
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: using pioneers v BUAs

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:51 pm

markdo wrote:I understand that pioneers are organised in 6s as per infantry bases with 1 per army.
Are they treated as part of a specific regiment, with that regiment having reduced musketry in a fire fight, or are they a separate unit in themselves and thus need activated like other units?

Mark
Mark,
I can't talk about their role in other armies but in the Saxon Army the lone company of Pioneers were part of the Artillery complement and let me therefore believe that those man were only used as siege pioneers and engineers to lay down sieges, mines and gun emplacements or helping crossing obstacles like rivers as did the pontoneers.
Sorry for not being more of help.
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:17 pm

markdo wrote:I understand that pioneers are organised in 6s as per infantry bases with 1 per army.
Mark
They are not part of a specific regiment, they can be added into any assault that you want. The only stipulation is that they must suffer at least one of the casualties suffered in every bound of combat.
Cheers
Dave
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks for your replies both. Do you just produce the unit at the point of assault then, rather than have them walk forward with the ordinary units?

Mark
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:08 pm

markdo wrote:Thanks for your replies both. Do you just produce the unit at the point of assault then, rather than have them walk forward with the ordinary units?
Mark
They should be placed on the table at the start of the game and count as one of your command elements so they will have to be ordered to move and take part in combat the same as other troops.
Cheers
Dave
markdo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by markdo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Ah! Thanks, Dave.
Mark