Dragoons and BLB2

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Justin Penwith
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Dragoons and BLB2

Post by Justin Penwith » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:56 pm

I have been extremely busy these past few months, and thus have had little time to post or read, here.

However, Barry's article on dragoons in the July issue of Miniature Wargames got me thinking, especially as dragoons will likely be prevalent in my as yet to be started campaign (RL does toss in a spanner from time to time).

Just like Barry, I have been considering ways to add to the utility of dragoons within BLB2, which would reflect more of their historical abilities and assignments.

Starting off with slight changes, I am thinking of allowing dragoons to:

1) upon passing a morale test before shooting, may shoot then re-mount at end of shooting phase (facing direction desired).
2) upon passing a morale test before chargers are moved, may evade charging infantry instead of standing and firing. Evade movement would be 4" +d10.

This reflects the fact that the actions on the field are fluid and not arbitrarily chunked into move/shoot phases. The dragoons, seeing they are about to be charged, skedaddle.

Obviously, this gives dragoons a certain advantage over Foot, but are rightly countered by regular Horse.
I am a wargamer; I wargame. I paint wargaming miniatures and, every so often, I blog about it at : http://royalistroundhead.blogspot.com/
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Dragoons and BLB2

Post by Russian James » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:02 pm

Haven't seen the article, but would agree that Dragoons should have a bit more of a 'niche', rather than being poor infantry or poor cavalry...
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:46 am

Justin,

good ideas. My plan was to make Dragoon rules available in some form sometime in the future. In combat terms in the mounted role I anticipate no changes.
In the Foot role the changes will allow for more flexibility to the evade option is understandable. I cannot shake off the association of the word evade with Ancient's gaming rules (a personal hang up) so I may use an alternative terms if such a manoeuvre is adopted within BLB. Perhaps withdraw or retire or something.

Formation is another area which will be added to.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:58 am

barr7430 wrote:Justin,

good ideas. ....
.... withdraw or retire or something. ...
My ideas for the term:

Avoiding contact - "AC"
or
Evasive movement/- maneuver - "EM"(my personal favorite)

elude...?

yield...?
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Justin Penwith
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Justin Penwith » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:43 am

I like "withdraw" as an alternative term. As in, "The dragoons will withdraw!"
I am a wargamer; I wargame. I paint wargaming miniatures and, every so often, I blog about it at : http://royalistroundhead.blogspot.com/
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:16 pm

"Dragoons, when mounted no infantry can stand against you, when dismounted no cavalry can overcome your fire". :twisted:
Captain of Dragoons
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Think I prefer "retire"...