One little question about the stands remove

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Slorm

One little question about the stands remove

Post by Slorm » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:03 pm

In the BLB2 when it says that you remove casualties by shoots or close combat, I can see on page 37 and 47, that they are numbered from 0 to 13... and I supposed that these numbers don't indicate the number of bases but the number of miniatures, because in the game is supposed that each unit is formed by 3 stands with 6 miniatures in each stand... so, as says in the text (Page 37) "Casualties should not be removed from the table until a battalion or squadron has received losses equivalent to half of its original strength" I suppose that you remove one stand each time that you receive 3 of more casualties, because 3 is the half of the original strength of a stand that is 6 miniatures.

Is this correct?

Thanks, and sorry if I have been too much extensive or unclear...
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: One little question about the stands remove

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:33 pm

Hello Slorm,

welcome to the Forum.

To Your question of removal of Losses:
This 50% rule referes to the unit and not to the losses on a single stand.
As soon as you loose out of a 18 Figure Unit based on 3 Stands more than 9 Figures you have to remove a base as the unit looses the ability to keep up its formation.

Hope that helps,
If you have any further question just ask and I am sure someone will answer.

Cheers,
Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Slorm

Post by Slorm » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:22 am

Ah ok, perfectly clear.
So when lose more than 9 figures (receive more than 9 casualties according to the tables) you remove one stand of the three stand unit.
If in the nexts turns you receive another time 9 casualties, ¿Do you remove another time one stand and it is finally sweap from the battlefield or it will stand fighting till receive the last 9 casualties?

And, ¿in the case of receiving 18 casualties in a turn do you remove two stand of the unit?
Dilly
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Dilly » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:28 am

The player must keep a log of TOTAL casualties taken by a unit, they are best kept on a copy of a log rota sheet from the back of the rule book, also read the battle guide in the rules it gives a good idea how the rules work during a game
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:16 am

To further complicate matters or to offer an alternative we just note the casualties but don't remove bases until the unit is gone. We also play with only 12 man units but the unit can take 18 hits. It stops small units from becoming to manoevrable
Slorm

Post by Slorm » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Thanks for your answers. All is clear!
I like the idea from @j1mwallace, because if you play with units of only one stand, you can mark the wound on the paper, and control the number of troops that are fighting, with out have to retire any stand.
Bert

Post by Bert » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:43 am

Hello
A newbie question. I'am not sure i understood correctly.
When a unit (3 stands) take his 10th casualty, 1 stand is removed. And after, when a 13th casualty point is taken, a second stand is removed ?
So a unit with 17 (of 18) casualties continue to fight with 1 stand ?

thx
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:11 pm

Yes, you are correct. In practical terms, however, I usually find a unit breaks long before that becomes an issue with a -2 penalty once it's been reduced to 5 models.

For my games, I only remove the first stand. Unit depth is always out of scale with wargame units and I view a depleted unit struggling to maintain its frontage. To soldiers on the ground unit depth would likely have been difficult to determine through the confusion and smoke of the battlefield (seeing especially how many stories there are of units firing on friends). Casualties also aren't necessarily dead - they may be wounded or helping comrades, have lost their muskets, or something else that makes them combat ineffective, but still adding bodies to the unit.
Bert

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:12 am

Very clear

Thank's / Merci

:wink: