How to grade units for Blenheim

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

How to grade units for Blenheim

Post by Gunfreak » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:20 am

So having now read about the battle in two diffrent books.
I don't see any units that should be classed as raw.

But the french elite cav did underprefrom, And the Austrian cuirassier did so too. All others seem to have worked very well.

But how should I class the say Bravarian units, especaly Bravarian Leib Garde? Should they be guard?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How to grade units for Blenheim

Post by barr7430 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:04 pm

When are Guards not Guards? - watch out for a blog piece on this shortly Truls. I would be careful grading troops with Guard in the title as Guards. In this period I would restrict the Guard status for the likes of Maison du Roi and Dutch Guards, Swedish Life Guards and Drabants. Anything else from any other country including the red coated Guards of the British... no.

My opinion only
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:23 am

barr7430 wrote:When are Guards not Guards? - watch out for a blog piece on this shortly Truls. I would be careful grading troops with Guard in the title as Guards. In this period I would restrict the Guard status for the likes of Maison du Roi and Dutch Guards, Swedish Life Guards and Drabants. Anything else from any other country including the red coated Guards of the British... no.

My opinion only
For once I have to agree with Barry, too many guard units did just what their title implies, they guarded things. They might have drill down to a fine art but practically no battle experience when first put into action and many line units would have far more experience. But they are your toys so rate them how you would like them to perform. Barry, Bob and myself were actually just discussing this topic at our Claymore demo game.
Cheers
Dave
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:47 am

Truls

Whatever you decide to grade your troops as, never forget that John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough must be classed as a God, Barry states that very clearly whenever he speaks about him :D :D :D :D :D

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:13 pm

You re a naughty little Togger :twisted:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford