Multiple charges

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
Matt507

Multiple charges

Post by Matt507 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:12 pm

I wonder if anyone can advise us on a recent query and if we resolved it correctly. We had three cavalry units in the approximate position:
A B C
A and C are Russian and B is Polish. A and B are facing each other, C is facing the rear of B. Hope that makes sense!

A and B declare mutual charges and C declares a charge on the rear of B. We then debated how the rules would cover this. I won’t go over the arguments which hinged over B’s reaction to the charge on its rear by C.

But we decided that all three should take a test to see if they would charge, they all passed.

B then had to test its reaction to being charged by C, it passed.

A and B then charged each other and C hit the rear of B. The melee was resolved with modifiers relating to B being hit in the rear.
We weren’t convinced this was in strict accordance with the rules, but agreed that in the ‘real world’ B wouldn’t try and face C but would continue its charge and take the consequences when it was hit.

If B had failed its test when charged by C it would have obeyed that result and been caught between the two.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Matt
flick40
Major General
Major General

Re: Multiple charges

Post by flick40 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:38 pm

I had this answered with die rolls and references and it logged me out b4 I could post it, so here goes again, the short version.

A and C can charge B at the same time with A and B as the principle combat units. C only provides combat modifiers. My similation gave A 4D12 hitting on 6's and B 4D8's hitting on 6's as well. My rolls gave 3 hits each, A gets 2 and C 1 (see pg 90 casualties are evenly split between combatants of the same side) and then B gets 3. The melee is a tie but B lost 50% and needs a morale check.

B failed and routs but I feel in this situation there is nowhere to rout and therefore surrenders. You can play it out as a rout but routers contacted by pursuers are destroyed.

B gave a good go but was effectively surrounded.

A and C will need to Form next turn or rally back and form the turn after that if they do.

Hope it was fun
Matt507

Post by Matt507 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:34 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I think you have A and C charging and B being stationary?

We agreed that A and B would mutually charge, as in ‘reality’ it wouldn’t stand still because of a charge from a unit behind it. We felt it would charge and then be hit by C’s charge in its rear.

In our game unit B (my Poles!) rolled better dice than A and C (Russian dragoons) and won the melee.

It was fun, for me at least…

Regards, Matt
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:02 am

In my original reply that the forum duped me out of, yes I handled it as if all 3 were charging.

B rolled the lower die in Melee because it was charged from behind and A rolled high because C was supporting. C rolls no dice.

Simultaneous charges can happen (up to three units vs one) but only the 2 principle units fight the rest provide supports. In your case A and B.

I'm glad you had fun.
Matt507

Post by Matt507 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Great, thanks. We did it right!