BLB "War of the 3 KIngs"; Newbie Questions

Any questions relating to Beneath the Lily Banners rule system.
SJW

BLB "War of the 3 KIngs"; Newbie Questions

Post by SJW » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:57 am

I've just acquired "War of the 3 KIngs" which I see is the 3rd edition of "Beneath the Lily Banners". I'm new to this period and plan to game it in 10mm. I have a few questions;
(a) Is there a QRF anywhere? I can find one online for the 2nd edition but not 3rd.

As I said I plan to game in 10mm. 28s look lovely but I just won't get them painted. Does anyone who also games it in 10mm have a view on the following;

(b) What base sizes to use? I plan to still use the 18-figure/12 figure sized units, but was wondering about the actual base sizes. I plan to buy a pack of figures at Warfare to have a trial unit set-up.

(3) The rules for movement and shooting are given in inches, which is fine for 28mm but probably not 10mm. Dropping to centimetres feels too small as units will hardly move!. What would anyone recommend? I was thinking of making up bespoke rulers marked in either 15mm or 20mm increments.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
SJW

Re: BLB "War of the 3 KIngs"; Newbie Questions

Post by SJW » Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:56 am

By the way having looked through some of the other posts I have found the link to the QRF for "War of the Three Kings".

Many thanks.
DHautpol
Private
Private

Post by DHautpol » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:57 pm

I have done armies for BLB using Pendraken's 10mm League of Augsburg range and basically substituted centimetres for inches.

The bases are 25mm square for foot and 30mm square for horse, giving 18 figures for foot (plus another 6 on the pike bases) and 12 figures for horse.

You can see how they looked on the Pendraken Forum site in the "Army" category of the 2016 Painting Competition.
https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index. ... 497.0.html
SJW

Post by SJW » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:09 am

Lovely looking army. I doubt that I will manage such a good paint job. Thanks for the advice on the basing, but just one supplementary question . I would think converting inches to cm would make things like movement very slow? Or do you play on a small-ish table?
DHautpol
Private
Private

Post by DHautpol » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:59 pm

Thanks for the comments on the painting.

I use cm instead of inches; so, essentially, units are moving about half distances. This allows me to use a smaller playing surface. The second edition of BLB includes a scenario entitled Steinbeke. Barry used a table 6ft x 8ft for his 'play-through' but I would stage the same scenario on a 3ft x 4ft. The relationships between the unit, its move distance and its firing range are unchanged. The same would apply to the scenarios book A Taste of Victory; half size table but the same number of units.
SJW

Post by SJW » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:35 am

Thanks for the feedback. My normal table is 6 x 4" so I guess this gives me the latitude to play "big battles" width wise but maybe reduce the depth of the battlefield to allow units to get into action quite quickly.