R2E gaming reviews

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

R2E gaming reviews

Post by barr7430 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:35 am

Nice to see some people are already gaming with the rules. Saw a few posts on TMP which were favourable.

Hmmm.. did I miss something??? Some folk didn't seem to know what an Average dice was... maybe I am a freak but I've used them in gaming since I was about 11 years old.

Someone also seemed to want instructions on how to throw a die :shock:
Maybe I read that wrong

Paper
Wipe
Butt

came to mind
Last edited by barr7430 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:01 pm

Average Dice are a bit of a WRG and Bruce Quarrie Nap rules throw back and seem to have fallen out of fashion these days.

In fact I think it's quite hard to find them commercially outside of the UK (more than happy to be informed otherwise?). I certainly can't recall any of the fancy 'glitter' / 'marble' (mainly USA) dice companies offering them. Anyone got any recommendations / sources?

Perhaps this is another commercial opportunity for the website Barry :wink:

(If you do them - I hope they'll be a bit more durable than the ones I used to buy at the old Skytrex shop in Nottingham - which the numbers used to wear off faster than you could say "Romphia armed, shieldless Light Heavy Infantry!")
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm

I was nonplussed as well. Average dice were the staple of the first wargame I ever bought - WRG Ancients 7th edition.

For US customers, you can buy average dice http://www.gamestation.net/.

It never occurred to me that we needed to define the concept. Somehow I officially joined the old guy's team!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:02 pm

As I searched a long time for DAv's myself I came accross EM4.

http://www.em4miniatures.com/

I tried to find the dice by searching their shop but I couldnt :shock:
But after typing 'Average dice' in the search field..bang.. there they were.

Maybe that helps
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:59 pm

This is the first wargame I'll play that uses dAv

Also, I discovered that at some point I skipped a bunch of pages and jumped from pg11 to 38. I was thinking: geez, this book seems really out of order. He hasn't discussed MPs or combat groups but he's referring to them all the time.

Things were much clearer when I realized my mistake.
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:51 pm

Glad to hear it wasn't one of MY mistakes Tyler! :lol:

Henry Ford
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:08 am

Re people needing instruction there is currently a 2 page debate on a certain WW2 site about how to move your miniatures. These are not just anoraks, these are full parkas!!.
if you tried an argument like that in Dumfries or any other self respecting club you'd need a trip to casualty for surgical removal of your wee resin tank!!
Wayne A Turner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wayne A Turner » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:31 am

j1mwallace wrote:Re people needing instruction there is currently a 2 page debate on a certain WW2 site about how to move your miniatures. These are not just anoraks, these are full parkas!!.
if you tried an argument like that in Dumfries or any other self respecting club you'd need a trip to casualty for surgical removal of your wee resin tank!!
We talked about this very thing at work today. Gamers, they are a funny lot.
Wayne
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:44 pm

http://www.thediceshoponline.com/

I have purchased all my dice from the above online retailer including D-avs and, for the arithmetically challenged like me, genuine D-3s.

They will post anywhere.

Regards,

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:18 pm

CoffinDodger wrote:http://www.thediceshoponline.com/

I have purchased all my dice from the above online retailer including D-avs and, for the arithmetically challenged like me, genuine D-3s.

They will post anywhere.

Regards,

Jim
Ooooh - they look nice Jim. Thanks for the 'heads up'.

John
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:04 am

The first 'detailed' review of R2E is on TMP... some strange conclusions are drawn and possible willful confusion by someone who has only read the rules and not played them leaves the impression of a very complicated set of rules.

I really, really, really hate to respond to anything on TMP after trying to help Sam defend glossy rule sets and I am sure some of the nitwits will simply see any comment as self-serving. Maybe someone who has actually played the game might chime in over there?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:18 pm

I had a look at the TMP thread on R2E. Quite honestly I am unconcerned. The rules will not succeed or fail on the opinions of the type of people who post there.
The first guy bought them.. had a flick through and made up his mind.. his money, his perogative. He clearly doesn't really get it or doesn't want to get it, so why bother.
The rest, well... I wrote a little article about those chaps which appears in this month's WI.. I think I made my point of view reasonably clear there.

Some people will buy R2E for the pictures... nowt wrong with that, people buy books with pictures of cars, mountains and naked women, they are all nice to look at.
Some people will buy R2E because they buy rule books.. they'll pick up a few concepts, change a few things and take them or leave them.
Some people will buy R2E and play the games.. then they might find that the data provided was for a reason. The games are quick, simple and unamibiguous...

Why does a rocket fly? Because some people have thought through the process very carefully to ensure it does. To read the instruction book for a Saturn V would be very complicated but it DOES fly.

Throw a few dice with R2E and you'll see it flies pretty good. 6 pages of charts will allow you to keep your copy all pristine and new and only for a quick glance when you want to look at pretty pictures :wink:

I guess I know what Frothers do when they are looking at pretty pictures :shock:

Henry Ford
Sheepman
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Republic to Empire

Post by Sheepman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi guys first time on here,
borrowed Reiver Castings copy (don't worry Barry I'll get my own copy soon) to have a look. Got to say very impressed so far. I like the fact that the reasons behind the various sections of the rules are discussed in detail. I don't think this will appeal to everyone but a conscious decision seems to have been made to set out the reasons for doing things in a certain way and I for one applaud this, you so often use a rule system and think why the heck was that done like that?
I will play the game myself soon and then take it along to our Border Reivers club and give the lads there a taster.
Let you know how it goes.
'I always wear me wellies'.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Welcome Sheepman!... posting is good!

I still have the scars from BLB :oops: I know the average club night can get competitive and to that end I wanted to stop wargamers falling out with their mates because I HADN'T said something!

R2E text falls into three categories:

1. CORE RULE MECHANICS

2. BACKGROUND RATIONALE EXPLAINING THE 'WHY' OF A CONCEPT

3. EXAMPLES

I noticed that the guy in Ireland who posted first on TMP totally missed the point when it came to explaining turn length/movement allowances etc. He has also failed to recognise that such reality gaps are magnified in most other rule sets or not explained at all.
He can put his copy on ebay :lol:

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:14 am

barr7430 wrote:I had a look at the TMP thread on R2E. Quite honestly I am unconcerned. The rules will not succeed or fail on the opinions of the type of people who post there.
I'm not going to get concern with people's opinions either, but a few points were simply factually wrong (willfully misunderstood?). I thought it best to chime in on those. I will keep an eye on TMP just to make sure there are no shenanigans!

Besides, everyone on this forum is so nice and polite, it's sickening... :lol: