Division size! A question please?

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Joe
Private
Private

Division size! A question please?

Post by Joe » Tue May 11, 2010 7:39 am

Hi Barry, Just a quick question about the size of your Divisions. Still waiting for my copy to arrive so I can not give a page reference, but having breifly looked at a freinds copy I noticed that you recommend eight Battalions per French Division. Was wondering why not larger? Is this mainly due to Command radius issue's? Thanks for any feedback. Cheers! Joe
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:46 am

Hi Joe.. thanks for the update on the delivery front.. please keep us in the loop on that and we'll make a decision when the 'mail' lag has elapsed.

On division size:

two reasons for the 8.

1. It is manageable from a collection painting point of view
2. It was typical of later Napoleoic period (100 Days.. most Divisions had 8 although I know in Russia and at other times Divisions could be much more powerful).

You don't have to stick to that, historical orbats set the precedent where you can find them

cheers
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Joe
Private
Private

Post by Joe » Tue May 11, 2010 7:53 am

Barry, Thanks for the info. One of my orders arrived today, so hopefully the rules won't be far behind. Will let you know. Cheers! Joe