paying for single unit actions

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks Barry for making the time to respond. We're getting closer.

Is it correct to say that except for charges, all actions in the MUST column are included in the MP expenditure for brigade orders?

I still have questions about actions in the MAY column, but let's settle on the MUST column then I'll bring those up.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:42 pm

obriendavid wrote:Tyler, the unit must charge if it is in charge reach and the Brigade has attack orders and apart from paying for the Brigade orders you still have to pay MP's for any units to charge or charge in support. The cost per unit is listed in table for single unit actions.
Cheers
Dave
I should have also stated that the unit must charge provided it is a formation fit for fighting, so you are not forced to charge while still in column of march. Once you have paid MP's for all the brigades in your command then you must keep back MP's for units that are currently able to charge before you can exploit with other brigades.
Cheers
Dave
Coyote
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Coyote » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:08 pm

Ok, so we should consider the attack order chart to read MUST: charge if in formation to charges (requires additional MPs) or something to that effect?
Tyler "Coyote" Provick
http://tyler.provick.ca
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:33 pm

footslogger wrote:
Is it correct to say that except for charges, all actions in the MUST column are included in the MP expenditure for brigade orders?
Hopefully you'll confirm the above, but here's another example.

I have a brigade on defend orders. What am I allowed to do as part of the brigade order without spending anything additionally?

In the table under MAY it lists change formation, deploy/recall skirmishers, form square if charged, move (within 9"), charge (if enemy come within reach), counter charge, change order, perform certain single unit actions.

It looks like you always have to pay for single unit actions to charge. But which of the others are included for free (in the brigade DEFEND MP expenditure) and which do I have to pay for? And how do I figure that out? Each one of the listed options is also listed on the single unit action table.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:58 pm

In the table under MAY it lists change formation, deploy/recall skirmishers, form square if charged, move (within 9"), charge (if enemy come within reach), counter charge, change order, perform certain single unit actions.

MAY in this context means: the action is ALLOWED it does not mean it is FREE. When a brigade has orders such as MOVE, ADVANCE, ATTACK - what is included in the MP payment for maintenance of order is the forward movement of the units in the brigade (including wheeling etc) everything else it MAY be able to do must be paid for as extra from your MP allowance if available.. all of those action s are listed in the Single Unit Actions table. I think that is probably as succinct a summary as I can manage.

It looks like you always have to pay for single unit actions to charge. But which of the others are included for free (in the brigade DEFEND MP expenditure) and which do I have to pay for? And how do I figure that out? Each one of the listed options is also listed on the single unit action table
Answer to this is above
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:42 pm

barr7430 wrote:In the table under MAY it lists change formation, deploy/recall skirmishers, form square if charged, move (within 9"), charge (if enemy come within reach), counter charge, change order, perform certain single unit actions.

MAY in this context means: the action is ALLOWED it does not mean it is FREE. When a brigade has orders such as MOVE, ADVANCE, ATTACK - what is included in the MP payment for maintenance of order is the forward movement of the units in the brigade (including wheeling etc) everything else it MAY be able to do must be paid for as extra from your MP allowance if available.. all of those action s are listed in the Single Unit Actions table. I think that is probably as succinct a summary as I can manage.
Excellent. Some text like that under single unit actions would go a long way in future revisions of the rules for folks playing the game just from what is written in the rules.

So on the defend order, when there is no forward movement implied, is there any single unit action that is included under defend orders, or does every action need to be paid for individually?
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:54 pm

Yes there is movement within the command distance of the object being defended (9 inch radius). So units can reposition within that distance at no further MP cost. That kind of detail can always be found in the text explanations of the orders not in the quick reference tables which are meant for use after players become familiar with the text.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:08 pm

barr7430 wrote:Yes there is movement within the command distance of the object being defended (9 inch radius). So units can reposition within that distance at no further MP cost. That kind of detail can always be found in the text explanations of the orders not in the quick reference tables which are meant for use after players become familiar with the text.
Thanks!

I had read the text for the defend order. Looking back I see that for each of Advance, Attack, Defend, and Move there is a line that says, "if individual units wish to perform additional actions...." I will take it then that anything before that text is included for free (such as deploying skirmishers under an advance order). I'll make my own versions of the order summaries chart to make this clear.