Officers commaning divisions and brigades at the same time

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Officers commaning divisions and brigades at the same time

Post by Rob Herrick » Sun May 23, 2010 5:08 pm

How does Republic to Empire model divisional commanders who were also directly commanding brigades at the same time they were commanding a division?

When it's a single-brigade division (such as Guedin commanding his brigade and Grouchy's dragoon division in the French Army of Italy after Grouchy commanded the reserve cavalry), it is fairly easy to represent the commander as a single stand. But is he classified as a brigade commander or a Division commander?

Second, what about the commander of a division, who is also personally commanding one of the brigades in his division? For example, in 1809, GM Coloredo was commanding a six-battalion brigade (I,II and III/Graf Strassoldo, I, II and III/St. Julien) as well as the second division of VIII Corps (Coloredo's Brigade and van Gajoli's brigade).
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Rob,

the easiest way round this is to make your 'character' figure the Division commander and assume the brigade has been delegated to a lower ranking officer.

It makes no difference really. You MUST have a commander model. He is the one exerting the + 0 - influence on MPs. The brigadier model has RESOLVE impact and an effect on the number of MPs burned to perform tasks (when a unit is in/out of command radius).

Does this make sense to you?

cheers

B[/i]
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed May 26, 2010 2:09 am

barr7430 wrote:Rob,

the easiest way round this is to make your 'character' figure the Division commander and assume the brigade has been delegated to a lower ranking officer. It makes no difference really. You MUST have a commander model. He is the one exerting the + 0 - influence on MPs. The brigadier model has RESOLVE impact and an effect on the number of MPs burned to perform tasks (when a unit is in/out of command radius).

Does this make sense to you?

cheers

B[/i]
It makes sense. My gut feeling was to go the other way and treat the brigade as "independent" units under the divisional CO in a multi-brigade division. My understanding is that it was generally best to appoint somebody else as "in charge" rather than try and wear the brigade commander hat in addition to your divisional commander hat. Treating them as independent units may make things too flexible, though.