The wrath of Miniature Wargames

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:45 pm

Nicely stated Barry.
John Michael
Corporal
Corporal

Post by John Michael » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:28 pm

I have to admit, TMP is a bizarre place, notwithstanding the original review in WI, I find it amazing that the editor of TMP choose now to post these 3 posts, and why leave out Lasalle?

I suspect Clarence is right, and it is to generate traffic.

John
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:38 pm

bibio wrote:Its to get the hit rate up and create a stir ,he's doing it with blackpowder as well.These sort of polls are apt to get some of the tmprs hot under the collar and create the type of arguements we all like to tune into watch.

iain
Yes, he has Black Powder and Napoleon subject to the same, but the quote picked for Black Powder was...

Overall, Black Powder is a solid game that is easy to learn and contains no major deficiencies.

I wonder, where is LaSalle's rating query? Is it universally loved?

R2E has had great reviews in Wargames Illustrated, Battlegames, and three or four online sources. I personally haven't bought Miniature Wargames in over a decade and as Barry posted on TMP, we're not adverse to criticism, but you can't let things like this stand because this may be many people's first introduction to R2E. Before entering in the publishing world (beyond being an artists - but that draws little comment most of the time unless it's positive), I trusted reviews I read in magazines I liked. I figured the editor chose someone with great knowledge, experience in the period, and integrity to present things fairly. I don't know how many sets of rules I simply dismissed because of a review... :?
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:43 pm

John Michael wrote:I have to admit, TMP is a bizarre place, notwithstanding the original review in WI, I find it amazing that the editor of TMP choose now to post these 3 posts, and why leave out Lasalle?

John
Exactly - the article in MW (not WI) featured four sets and why the TMP left it out is strange... I have avoided adding my own.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:01 pm

It must be the summer silly season like they have in the Red Tops :shock: when there is no news to print.

Lasalle has probably taken up so much air time on TMP that they decided to give it a rest for a while.

Why people write things and then say, well I haven't seen the rules, won't buy them so won't vote is just.... bizarre, sort of like... I'm out here please somebody recognize I exist.. a bit sad

Anyway, to follow the old adage... any publicity is good publicity :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Yes I have to agree with you Barry, most of the people who post on TMP must also like the sound of their own voices.

How you can have an opinion on subject matter you haven't even seen is beyond me, let alone wasting time discussing it!

It also puzzles me how many of the regular contributors on there ever find time to actually play games, paint figures or anything else hobby related, apart from talk crap on TMP.

Anyway as long as none of them ever visit London Links while we are enjoying another cracking weekender I won't be too bothered about them.

Bob
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:02 pm

I too find a large number of wargamers to be very strange people who seem to enjoy nothing more than denigrating other peoples efforts. ironically the ones who shout the loudest or complain the most are the anally retentive few who game the least (but "know" the most).
The below average artists are usually the ones who will complain most about other peoples painting and people like the reviewers here obviously start out with the result they want and then work towards it.
personally i find that most of the frothers on TMP fall into the above categories.
I pretty much avoid TMP
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:19 am

The TMP thread has gone all sensible... the centre ground of wargaming politics has regained the floor and subdued the yaah-boo sucks partizan baying of the mob! :lol:

would you believe it
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford