15mm basing and

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

15mm basing and

Post by Rob Herrick » Sun May 30, 2010 6:21 am

I'm working up my 15mm armies to give RtE a go, and I think I've figured out most of my basing conventions.

Infantry Figures: 3/8" wide x 1/2" deep per figure, based by companies where practicable
Cavalry Figures: 1/2" wide x 1.125" deep (Old Glory horses need a bit more depth), based in pairs
Artillery Batteries: 1.25" wide x 1.5" deep, with limbers and wagons an additional 6" deep.

Brigade Commanders: 40mm rounds (30mms are just a tad bit too small for dioramas)
Division Commanders: 50mm rounds
Corps/Army Commanders: 60-80mm rounds (NICE Diorama potential)

The question are skirmisher bases - how should they be mounted? Barry's 1815 galleries show skirmishers on hex-bases; I'd been thinking everything from 1.5"x1" rectangles, pill base variants, and 30mm rounds. Is there a "suggested" skirmish basing I missed in the rules?

Thanks!
Captain Chook
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Captain Chook » Sun May 30, 2010 10:25 am

Hi Rob,
I think having a basing system that allows for playing other rules is important in case you end up playing people who don't use RtE.

I started my gaming with General de Brigade. I believe the basing system for that was the same as for In the Grand Manner.
Frontages are given as:
8-10mm per infantry
10-12mm per cavalry
artillery 30-40mm per gun
skirmishers 12-15mm

I do like the look of the pictures with skirmishers on hexagonal bases, but for me rectangles are more practical.
I wish I had based my generals on round bases, but as I am only part way through my 15mm painting there is still time to change.
valleyboy
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by valleyboy » Sun May 30, 2010 10:25 am

Hi Rob
Mine are based in pairs on 15 x30mm bases - this would be standard for the majority of 15mm rule sets I've played in the past