Battle of Vauchamps 14th Feb 1814.. at Partizan

Questions, chat, feedback and developments relating to REPUBLIC TO EMPIRE... Wargaming the wars of Napoleon Bonaparte.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Battle of Vauchamps 14th Feb 1814.. at Partizan

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:32 am

Yesterday, Adrian and I put on his scenario for the Battle of Vauchamps 1814 during which the French allegedly suffered 800 casualties and the Prussians 18,000. Balanced info on the subject was rather hard to come by as the tone of the text in the H&C 1814 book leans somewhat towards the French perspective :shock:

The scenario was a divisional sized game in which the French were pushing east to roll back a Prussian/Russian advance. We had a pretty packed table most of the day and were ably assisted by Bob Thornton who is really getting to know the rules pretty well now.

My Crusade for understanding of R2E seems to have taken a few steps forward with many people coming back to the table several times to watch the rapid pace of progress and comment favourably on the game play.

Despite the armies starting over 6 feet apart on a 12 feet long table, there was action on Turn 2 when Prussian Landwehr cavalry charged an advancing French column and were sent packing in short order. By Turn 3 The Prussian Guard Cuirassiers were cutting through French Cuirassiers, by T6 there was NO CAVALRY left on the table as they had hacked each other to pieces leaving the French columns to assault Vauchamp. We had just begun this activity which was shaping up well for Marmont when we pullled stumps at 1600. Bearing in mind there were three of us and we all had 'business' to do at the show on several trips around as well as talk to the public we got very far on with the scenario which I think perhaps had 4-6 turns left in it.

Feedback was good, the MW review was mentioned a couple of times (and a couple of times more by Stuart Parkin!!!). I did have a sneaky suspicion that the guy who interrogated me for 20 minutes on cameras, rule writing, my outlook on wargames etc towards the end of the day was in fact Bruce Macfarlane but he drifted away as mysteriously as he had arrived.... a puzzle to rival the Mary Celeste :wink:
When I asked him why he didn't push his point of view about rules (he was unhappy with ALL Napoleonic rules he'd ever played) he cryptically said.. 'No point, nobody ever listens to me anyway'... hmmm maybe.... :wink:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Mon May 31, 2010 5:38 pm

Yes another R2E demo game that really got the juices flowing, this time using Adrian's fantastic terrain.

As Barry mentioned this was another fast moving encounter and showed "Joe Public" R2E at its best, plenty of action all resolved quickly and clearly, a lot of visitors to the table I spoke to liked the playsheet, especially when they saw most of the combat & movement etc. was done using this alone, goes against some early reviews by people that hadn't played R2E methinks.

Hopefully Barry will get some shots of the terrain up soon,it was superb,but he might want to gloss over the point where several regiments of cuirrassiers were put to the sword by the Prussians.

So another successful day for R2E, there seems to be a lot of positive feedback from people when they see the rules in action, obviously something a certain reviewer hasn't, unless of course he was watching from behind his rucksack at Newark.

Just remains to thank Barry & Adrian for a great days gaming and look forward to the next time.

Bob
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon May 31, 2010 7:37 pm

It's good here that my forthcoming allies, the Prussians did well against the French, hopefully they will perform the same in a few weeks time. I was sorry to miss the weekend as I have been going to the show for about 15 years now.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:38 pm

some pics now up

Henry Ford
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Bruce Macfarlane would indeed need a backpack...to carry that six sided playsheet in :twisted:

Are you sure I mentioned that offending article :wink:

But seriously, another great looking game with some stunning units on the table, I really liked the Prussian Battery, just a shame with the location of your table as it can go a bit dark in that alcove area if it's not bright outside along with the poor lighting. But it inspired my mate to get a copy of RTE from Dave Thomas's stand so we can at last try it out.

Oh..and pains me to heap more praise on Barry :wink: , but I thoroughly enjoyed your 1806 article in WI :D

Stuart
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:22 pm

Aha! grudging praise is the sweetest :lol:

Sorry we didn't get more time to chat Stuart... every time I went to your table.. you weren't there!!!! :shock: Off spending cash on Black Powder, Lasalle, GdeB etc etc.....

I am actually thinking of doing the 1806 Prussians, just diapposinted the Foundry range isn't really up to the job

Henry Ford
kiwipeterh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by kiwipeterh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:23 am

barr7430 wrote:I am actually thinking of doing the 1806 Prussians, just diapposinted the Foundry range isn't really up to the job
Mmmmm - IMO the 1806 Prussian cavalry in particular are snappy dressers/lookers. Good luck searching for a decent range in 28mm - my opinion again of course. AB make a decent range if you do them in the smaller size.

But you'll have your own take on ranges, which will undoubtedly be more informed than mine!

:D

Salute
von Peter himself
Visit the blog of von Peter himself at http://vonpeterhimself.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 pm

The 1806 range is actually not bad in parts. Some of the poses are very odd but others are good. It is just a bit disappointing overall I think

Henry Ford
OldNosey

Post by OldNosey » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Being my first post i'd like to congratulate Barry not only on a great demo game but also for infecting me with his enthusiasm.
Although i was unable to play a turn (i took my mate to his first show which he thoroughly enjoyd, but he brought his young son who couldn't keep still) Barry explained some points and clarified some others.
R2E is now my Napoleonic ruleset of choice.

I will also try to make a weekender if things go to plan.

Paul
Its Supposed to be FUN!
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:28 pm

I've been wanting to do 1806 battles using the Elite Miniatures line. They have some nice Saxons & Prussians. It's a totally different style then Floundry but I like them as the figures paint up quickly.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:44 pm

18th Century Guy wrote: I've been wanting to do 1806 battles using the Elite Miniatures line.
I'm seriously thinking about an 1805-7 French division using Front Rank figures with bicornes and the old white uniforms - just to be different.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.